Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Installation of a automatic battery shut off any advice on if this would work

Hey guys sorry I have a million questions going on I'm about to install a soggy dog audio system and I found a unit that hooks up to the batt and also to the amp incase I forget to turn the stereo system off the devise will continually check my amperage when it goes below 11.7 it will kill the amp it's just gonna be used as back up I am putting a switch for the amp to power off it's called priority start 12 volt marine do u think this would work for me ?...

+1
    Do you have a link to this device?

+1
    I think you meant if your VOLTS drop below 11.7 it will kill the power feed. I think this will work fine but I wouldn't run the ski's main power cable through the unit as intended. Simply hook it up to the stereo and amp only by laying the positive connections of the ski and this unit to the positive terminal of the battery together. Then run the positives from the stereo and amp to your new unit. I will still monitor voltage drops on the battery and shut down the stereo without killing power to your starter and the electronics of the ski. I'm not certain how much or if any dammage can be done to the ski if you are repeatedly pulling the battery down to 11.7 volts before trying to start the ski. Remember that as voltage drops amps increase causing things to heat up a bit more! Maybe someone else will know the answers to this scenerio!

Ok thanks it's just gonna be a back up I'm installing an on off switch for the amp might leave it on a couple time till I get use to it but I'm gonna try to shut it down every time befor I leave the ski it's kinda gonna be a reserve incase I leave it on but I don't plan on leaving it on a lot so it would rarely be used

+1
    If I were to ever install a stereo on a ski, I'd run a second (smaller) battery and use that for the system only. It would have no impact on the ski at all. I would not use any battery combiner or battery switch or whatever. I'd charge it up, take the ski out, charge it when I got home, etc.

Why not just install a relay so its only on when the engine is on

Yea that seems like a pain in the butt to have to charge the secon bat after every ride I'm lucky I remember to flush the motor out plus where I keep my jet dock isn't any electric if I ran a secon bat I would hook them both up together and have them botch charge while driving in trying to avoid a second batt slopping around in my hull

Chucked do u have one in mind that I can google?

+1
    Why not just use the switched power from the stock fuse block?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information