Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Lightbulb 2001 Polaris Genesis i - idle issue

Hey everyone,

First post here for me.

I have a question. I'm looking to purchase a 2001 Polaris Genesis i with 106 hours on the engine. It had been sitting for a couple years. There were no signs of corrosion or anything else wrong, engine looked very clean.

Replaced the old fuel that had been sitting, cleaned the lines, put some oil in the cylinders, replaced the batter, and finally got it started. Started first time too. The only issue is that it will not idle correctly. First time we got it started it would not idle at all. Today (three days after the first start), it would idle but hard, and then some times would rev itself. Was idling around 3000 rpm on average but sometimes would take itself up to 5000.

As it was idling it was backfiring a little. I already knew that the third cylinder's spark plug was dirty. So I replaced that and tried again. Same problem. Took the spark plug out again and saw that it was dirty also after only a couple mins of running. This leads me to believe that the head gasket may be blown. I want to run a compression test to see if this may be the case. My question is what pressure should the reading be? And if it is off, what pressure must the knew gasket being placed on be screwed too?

Or if anyone thinks it may be something else please let me know. I'm getting a great deal on this and really don't wanna walk away unless its gonna be a major fix.

Any help and advice would be great!

Welcome to the Hulk. Lots of things to check out before a final solution can be determined. Start by reading here http://polarispwcknowledge.shorturl.com/ The page is courtesy of K447. The TPS (throttle position sensor) located on the rear of the throttle bodies may be the issue. The TPS can make it do crazy things however if its backfiring it could also be the EMM (computer). I would start with unpluging the TPS and see if it will start and idle. It will not respond to throttle with it unplugged but it if idles fine then you know whats wrong. Let us know what you get. Also, do not run the engine for more than 10-15 seconds without water, you can cause come serious damage. There is a way to connect a hose but even then you can only run it for 1-2 minutes and you have to do it properly. More on that once we get her running correctly. Cheers

^^What he said.

Also, there are no head gaskets on these machines....only O-rings between the head and jug....very unlikely that it would be your problem.

I have been hooking it up to water. It already had the flush kit installed so that was great. I used to work for a jet ski rental company so I know a little about basic maintenance, but not a great deal about fixing them up.

I will disconnect the TPS next time I'm down there (Saturday) and get back with you if it works. I just looked at the online service manual and saw that there are no head gaskets, just the O-rings and a lower gasket of sorts. Do you not think that if I were to run a compression check and it comes back bad then this would be worth replacing? When id does backfire its minimal which is why I think its the one cylinder.

I am truly holding my breath and hoping these are small fixes. The guy is only asking $1000 for the ski and trailer which is fine I think. But I've already put a little over $100 in to it with a new battery, laser platinum plugs, new lanyard, etc.

Thanks for the great advice. I truly appreciate all the help I can get with this.

+1
    A compression check should be the first thing you check after getting a battery that will spin the motor. If the compression is good there are a multitudeof items that need to be checked.
    the link given above is basicly gospel, This knowlege was aquired the hard way.
    Good Luck!

What type of plugs did you install. Do not substitute the NGK PZFR6H as this can cause running issues. Cheers.

Just checking in with an update and seeking anymore advice.

I am using the PZFR6H. Did a compression check, all three cylinders reading right around 140 psi so don't think its a leak. Disconnected the TPS and let it idle and it idle much better, right around 1000 rpm.

Finally took it down and put it on the water after having checked everything I could think of. Trouble was it was idling at 3000 rpm which was way to fast. Had to use the reverse to slow it down coming into the dock. Another issue.... once I finally got out to the normal operation area, wouldn't rev over 3000 (lol). Essentially the throttle was useless. I could idle around but couldn't gain any speed at all. When I tried using the throttle it would just kinda whine up and down like it wanted to go, but couldn't.

When I got it back in and went to flush it out (salt water operation), it revved right up to 5000 rpm straight away without touching the throttle. So I let it flush like that since I would have had it around there anyway. After, I disconnected the TPS again and turned it on again to see, and it would idle down at 1000 rpm again and sounded fine.

This thing is really starting to make me scratch my head and is kinda frustrating. I don't wanna walk away from a deal but I am running out of options. Do you think installing a new TPS should fix these problems?

Quote Originally Posted by AJRidd87 View Post
    Do you think installing a new TPS should fix these problems?
    I would almost bet on it.

Quote Originally Posted by bgaidan View Post
    I would almost bet on it.
    +1 TPS is the prime suspect.

That being the case then, I am not sure where to get the new TPS. I read the discussion about the TPSs but couldn't figure out what the exact part number is the will be the replacement part. I saw the one about the EC 1098, but also saw how it needed some adjusting done to it to make it work correctly. What would be the part that I can just buy and replace without having to mess around with it?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information