Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bad Gas?

+1

Bad Gas?

So ive been trying to diagnose my 250x for awhile..Ive had intercooler out a few times, inspected all hoses; checked SC belt, as well as SC hoses. All good. Ski starts great and idles great and runs great until higher rpms (5500+). Then it bogs, or surges and doesnt go above 6500 rpm. Rpm fluctuates sometimes 5500 sometimes 6500. IMO it feels like fuel. I know gas loses some qualities after a few months. The gas in it was nearly 2 years old. (half full) but it was topped off with fresh gas. (since then i have drained the tank but ski still not put back together to test.) I have never touched the fuel pump and am asking for advice if maybe the fuel pump may need cleaning. I have never taken fuel tank or pump out before. NO FAULT CODES. Ski has 390 hours. Rebuilt engine by a former GH member and SC has about 35 hours on it. Could it be just bad fuel? or bad fuel causing other fuel related problems. I have been looking through the service manual but would like to pick others brains. If its just bad fuel that would be great but Im not convinced. Convince me please. Thanks

Banned User
    +1
    Two year old fuel is no good especially sitting inside the motor. Most likely things are bad plugs fuel injectors or fuel pump or refulator in tank in that order.

Quote Originally Posted by benjahw View Post
    So ive been trying to diagnose my 250x for awhile..Ive had intercooler out a few times, inspected all hoses; checked SC belt, as well as SC hoses. All good. Ski starts great and idles great and runs great until higher rpms (5500+). Then it bogs, or surges and doesnt go above 6500 rpm. Rpm fluctuates sometimes 5500 sometimes 6500. IMO it feels like fuel. I know gas loses some qualities after a few months. The gas in it was nearly 2 years old. (half full) but it was topped off with fresh gas. (since then i have drained the tank but ski still not put back together to test.) I have never touched the fuel pump and am asking for advice if maybe the fuel pump may need cleaning. I have never taken fuel tank or pump out before. NO FAULT CODES. Ski has 390 hours. Rebuilt engine by a former GH member and SC has about 35 hours on it. Could it be just bad fuel? or bad fuel causing other fuel related problems. I have been looking through the service manual but would like to pick others brains. If its just bad fuel that would be great but Im not convinced. Convince me please. Thanks
    This is a 91 octane boat Ben J. To have let fuel sit in the gas tank of this Ski for 2 years may certainly be the root cause. If it were me, and the ski was sitting for 2 years, I would completely drain the tank and put in fresh 91.

+1
    plugs do some crazy things, replace them as a start..

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by john belton View Post
    This is a 91 octane boat Ben J. To have let fuel sit in the gas tank of this Ski for 2 years may certainly be the root cause. If it were me, and the ski was sitting for 2 years, I would completely drain the tank and put in fresh 91.

Yep, i drained it now but have not been out since.

Plugs were changed before last trip. so i think thats out and i looked at them tonight and they look real good

Banned User
    +1
    Yep, i drained it now but have not been out since.

Plugs were changed before last trip. so i think thats out and i looked at them tonight and they look real good
    U can't tell I there bad by looking at them.

+1
    is it a quick job to pull out fuel pump from tank?

Banned User
    +1
    is it a quick job to pull out fuel pump from tank?
    20 mins

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by FIRE0021 View Post
    U can't tell I there bad by looking at them.
    WEll.. agreed. same symptoms with old plugs as with new ones. ..

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by FIRE0021 View Post
    20 mins
    twenty minutes to remove the cowling and bars? looks like a pain but we will see. trying to pull up my pdf manual but its not working...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information