Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: Bad Gas?

  1. #1
    benjahw benjahw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Naples, Fl
    Posts
    467
    +1
    30

    Bad Gas?

    So ive been trying to diagnose my 250x for awhile..Ive had intercooler out a few times, inspected all hoses; checked SC belt, as well as SC hoses. All good. Ski starts great and idles great and runs great until higher rpms (5500+). Then it bogs, or surges and doesnt go above 6500 rpm. Rpm fluctuates sometimes 5500 sometimes 6500. IMO it feels like fuel. I know gas loses some qualities after a few months. The gas in it was nearly 2 years old. (half full) but it was topped off with fresh gas. (since then i have drained the tank but ski still not put back together to test.) I have never touched the fuel pump and am asking for advice if maybe the fuel pump may need cleaning. I have never taken fuel tank or pump out before. NO FAULT CODES. Ski has 390 hours. Rebuilt engine by a former GH member and SC has about 35 hours on it. Could it be just bad fuel? or bad fuel causing other fuel related problems. I have been looking through the service manual but would like to pick others brains. If its just bad fuel that would be great but Im not convinced. Convince me please. Thanks


  2. #2
    Banned User
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    LA/oc
    Posts
    3,911
    +1
    129
    Two year old fuel is no good especially sitting inside the motor. Most likely things are bad plugs fuel injectors or fuel pump or refulator in tank in that order.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by benjahw View Post
    So ive been trying to diagnose my 250x for awhile..Ive had intercooler out a few times, inspected all hoses; checked SC belt, as well as SC hoses. All good. Ski starts great and idles great and runs great until higher rpms (5500+). Then it bogs, or surges and doesnt go above 6500 rpm. Rpm fluctuates sometimes 5500 sometimes 6500. IMO it feels like fuel. I know gas loses some qualities after a few months. The gas in it was nearly 2 years old. (half full) but it was topped off with fresh gas. (since then i have drained the tank but ski still not put back together to test.) I have never touched the fuel pump and am asking for advice if maybe the fuel pump may need cleaning. I have never taken fuel tank or pump out before. NO FAULT CODES. Ski has 390 hours. Rebuilt engine by a former GH member and SC has about 35 hours on it. Could it be just bad fuel? or bad fuel causing other fuel related problems. I have been looking through the service manual but would like to pick others brains. If its just bad fuel that would be great but Im not convinced. Convince me please. Thanks
    This is a 91 octane boat Ben J. To have let fuel sit in the gas tank of this Ski for 2 years may certainly be the root cause. If it were me, and the ski was sitting for 2 years, I would completely drain the tank and put in fresh 91.

  4. #4
    nicjak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Warragul, Downunder
    Posts
    7,794
    +1
    625
    plugs do some crazy things, replace them as a start..

  5. #5
    benjahw benjahw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Naples, Fl
    Posts
    467
    +1
    30
    Quote Originally Posted by john belton View Post
    This is a 91 octane boat Ben J. To have let fuel sit in the gas tank of this Ski for 2 years may certainly be the root cause. If it were me, and the ski was sitting for 2 years, I would completely drain the tank and put in fresh 91.

    Yep, i drained it now but have not been out since.

    Plugs were changed before last trip. so i think thats out and i looked at them tonight and they look real good

  6. #6
    Banned User
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    LA/oc
    Posts
    3,911
    +1
    129
    Quote Originally Posted by benjahw View Post
    Yep, i drained it now but have not been out since.

    Plugs were changed before last trip. so i think thats out and i looked at them tonight and they look real good
    U can't tell I there bad by looking at them.

  7. #7
    benjahw benjahw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Naples, Fl
    Posts
    467
    +1
    30
    is it a quick job to pull out fuel pump from tank?

  8. #8
    Banned User
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    LA/oc
    Posts
    3,911
    +1
    129
    Quote Originally Posted by benjahw View Post
    is it a quick job to pull out fuel pump from tank?
    20 mins

  9. #9
    benjahw benjahw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Naples, Fl
    Posts
    467
    +1
    30
    Quote Originally Posted by FIRE0021 View Post
    U can't tell I there bad by looking at them.
    WEll.. agreed. same symptoms with old plugs as with new ones. ..

  10. #10
    benjahw benjahw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Naples, Fl
    Posts
    467
    +1
    30
    Quote Originally Posted by FIRE0021 View Post
    20 mins
    twenty minutes to remove the cowling and bars? looks like a pain but we will see. trying to pull up my pdf manual but its not working...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Could it be bad gas?
    By Davpmars in forum 2-Stroke Performance
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-13-2010, 07:18 PM
  2. Did NOT Winterize, now wont start. Is it Bad Gas? Advice?
    By vjkevlar in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (2-stroke)
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 04-25-2010, 02:07 AM
  3. Bad gas
    By svtjoe in forum Sea Doo Sport Boats
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-19-2008, 07:38 AM
  4. Bad Gas....?
    By PuprleNuprleGPR in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (2-stroke)
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-22-2007, 12:14 PM
  5. 04 Wake hard starting spits and sputters? Bad Gas/foulded plugs?
    By blandis in forum Sea Doo Open Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-10-2007, 08:55 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •