Any Ideas as to how a rod gets thrown through the bottom of the crank case?

Was cruising half throttle on my RXP which had only been rebuilt 20 hours ago and it threw a rod out the bottom of the crank casing. The dealer has told me that these kind of things just happen but I am struggling to accept that a 20 hour old motor just does that.

Any ideas from the experienced people of this forum as to how this actaually just happens? And also how much for a new block?

Well this was most likely due to a bad rebuild. Rods dont just get thrown because they just happened. Something caused it to break. Either cylinder filled with water and bent and broke the rod. The rod was not torqued properly and the bearing spun and the rod cap came off. With out seeing the inside of the motor i wouldnt be able to say exactly but those are some reasons. Also piston pin broke to to improper installation.

Nothin' better than Doo'in it! BigDaddyRXP's Avatar
    +1
    Why was the motor in need of a rebuild.... and who performed the rebuild

+1
    Improperly torqued rod bolts and caps is the number one cause of catastrophic engine failure after a rebuild. With 20 hrs run time I would suspect this is the case, however there are many other reasons you could loose a rod. Has the machine ever been submerged, was the engine broke in properly (how soon was the oil & filter changed), was the crank checked to be in spec during the rebuild? And sometimes its just plain old crappy ass work, I've seen people build engines in their back yards while working off of an old peice of gritty plywood (then wonder why the engine failed). Some of these shops keep a dirty house so to speak. I've seen shops that I wouldnt build a bycycle in let alone a precision type engine. If you get a chance to look at their shop you'll get a good idea of the work you'll be getting. These engines typically dont just fail but I have seen a few guys post differently that are known to be good mechanics. So the real answer is if your mechanic is able to find the culprit you may never know if he keeps a tight lip and it turns out to be his fault. You may luck up and find a good used block by posting in the classifieds, atleast its a starting point!

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyRXP View Post
    Why was the motor in need of a rebuild.... and who performed the rebuild
    I bought the motor off my dealer in Perth Seadoo Ascot and he had to rebuild the motor because it dropped a valve apparently I then purchased the ski of him for 9k and spent another 2k on a riva stage 2 kit I had only run 10 hours before it needed a supercharger rebuild which i thought was strange as he had only just put in a gen 2 supercharger wheel and he should have told me then... after that it ran for another 10hours before it dropped a rod through the crank case

Thread Information