Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

It must be nice to be able to just throw money away.

Somebody bought an 02 GP1200R and barely rode it at all before putting a Riva Stage 2 kit in it. He put it back together but didn't hook the oil feed up right on the carbs and burned up the middle cyl. So he had it sleeved (at least it appears so, more on that to come) and put it back together and as soon as they fired it up it was pouring water into that middle cylinder. He got fed up after that and basically gave it away to one of his employees, who never did anything good with it. He just let it sit in the water next to his house for who knows how long with the head off and rags draped over the cylinders. To make a long story short, this guy gave me this basically brand new Waverunner to get it out the water next to his house. You can see clearly under the mold and grime that there's not many hours period on the hull and powertrain. So somebody threw almost ten grand away and thought nothing of it.

Anyway, the guy I got it from claimed that he'd been turning it over every so often, but the rust flaking off the top of the #2 and #3 cylinders put the lie to that. I got the cylinders off today and found that the crankcase was full of water. And, there's an issue with the sleeve on the middle cylinder. On the front and rear cylinders, the sleeve is flush with the top of the cylinder. On the middle cylinder on this engine, the sleeve is recessed between and mm or two. And, the bottom of the sleeve is visibly different in appearance to the ones on the other two cylinders. The outside two are taped at the bottom but the one on the middle cylinder is flat on the bottom of the sleeve extension with a more defined edge. I'm suspecting that gap was the reason they had issues with it getting water in that cylinder. Whoever did the work were not real mechanics. They did a lousy job or gasket removal and surface prep.

So, I'm looking at putting a crank and piston kit in this thing and at minimum another sleeve and possibly another cylinder entirely. I'm going to go ahead and go oversize on all the pistons. All the cylinder walls are rusted too much to just hone out. They've got to be bored.

What would y'all suggest to be me the most performance for my not outrageous but sensible budget and still be basically reliable, that would best fit with the kit that had been installed on it already?

I've been lusting after one of these exact Waverunners since I worked at a dealer a few years ago. Crazy. This should be a nice bike one by the time I'm through with it.

Thanks for any and all advice. Cool site y'all have here.

+1
    you cant give us all that and no pictures!! good luck with the project...welcome to the hulk

+1
    If you are sure you want to go oversize get 3 non sleeved cylinders if you have to buy a core then send all three to millennium technologies to be bored and renicked. some porting would be nice too.

If there was a lot of water sitting in the cases you may need a different set of reeds.

Also if you go oversize make sure to clearances the case and grind the power-valves

Good luck with the build get some pics and keep us posted.

+1
    Hi! welcome to greenhulk!
    Please add some pictures, but dont fool yourself... you WILL have to invest a lot in this project, parts are not cheap, and nikasil is a must, dont use sleeves.
    I'm buyed a gp1200r with motor damage.. we all know how much fun this is, but dont rush!
    You came to the right place, take it apart, add pictures, and figure out what you want to build..
    I got a lot of help from this forum, wfo performance, ( TOP ) and www.groupk.com can help out also, if you want to go 1390cc.
    Keep us updated!

Julian

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Julian View Post
    Hi! welcome to greenhulk!
    Please add some pictures, but dont fool yourself... you WILL have to invest a lot in this project, parts are not cheap, and nikasil is a must, dont use sleeves.
    I'm buyed a gp1200r with motor damage.. we all know how much fun this is, but dont rush!
    You came to the right place, take it apart, add pictures, and figure out what you want to build..
    I got a lot of help from this forum, wfo performance, ( TOP ) and www.groupk.com can help out also, if you want to go 1390cc.
    Keep us updated!

Julian

Why can't you use sleeves? Just wondering.

+1
    You can use sleeves it's just not as good As nikisil.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mudslanger View Post
    You can use sleeves it's just not as good As nikisil.
    You can indeed use sleeves, but sleeves are not as good ( heat transfer )
    total costs on nikasil is just a little bit higher than sleeves, with much better performance/quality.

+1
    wish i could stumble upon a deal like that.......... conversion time....................

+1
    What kind of budget are you looking at? If it were mine I would make a 1390 out of it or at least a 1300. Talk to Water Woody....Kevin here @ Www.WcPorting.com Sounds like a SBT cylinder on one of them.

Thanks for the welcome y'all. Your knowledge is much appreciated.

Pics to come. Didn't have my camera with me. It's at my buddies house right now sitting on one of his trailers. He helped me go pick it up. I'm looking for a trailer for it right now. Might get a second ski too after I get this one running. It's always more fun to go with someone.

I'm only going to go .5 mm over on the bore, the first size over. Nothing stupid. The sleeves I've got now should be fine for that, except for maybe that middle one. That something I really do need to show y'all with a pic to see what I'm talking about.

Julian, where's the place to go for plating the bores. I will take a look at the cost. If it's not too much more I might consider it. The reason I'm even hesitating is I realy want to get a second ski.

I can see where the porting would make a difference. I'll be checking that out

Who makes the best stock spec crank kit for the money? I've found several just Googling. Would there be any benefit to grinding the power valves with a stock spec crank? And if I wanted to go beyond stock, what should I look at?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information