Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

New ski owner and some questions...

Hi everyone! I've done my fair share of lurking and searching around here, so I want to introduce myself and throw out some specific questions.

First time ski owner, picked up a '96 SLT700 and '99 SLH700 with a 5-year old 2-up trailer for $3200.

Both skis seemed to be in good shape and I looked them over and ran them for a few seconds before I purchased so excuse my ignorange for anything I may ask.

Took both skis out on the water a few days after we purchased them. The SLT ran great and we had a good time on it. A few things I noticed after running around on it:

- Looks like one of the bilge pickup hoses is broken - obviously an easy fix
    - I notice this model doesn't have a specific "bilge" button like the SLH... Does the bilge operate when the engine is running? There was a fair bit of water in the hull after riding
    - Fuel gauge doesn't work (I'm told this is common and certainly not a deal breaker)
    - There is an "on/off" switch on the handlebars (not momentary), but I can't figure out what it is powering. Could it be the bilge?

My major problems are with the SLH... It started up and idled fine, but the minute you gave it any throttle it would cut off. I decided I would table it until I could look further... Here's what I found:

- The MFD was missing when we bought it - I know these fail regularly, but could it being non-existant be causing me issues?
    - The trim motor arm is disconnected and tucked up underneath It looks like they connected the trim adjustment to the steering linkage with a piece of coathanger ( again)
    - The flame arrestor was replaced with Ocean Pro Vortex filters with a homemade sheet metal "cover" - I'm thinking about putting a stock flame arrestor back on this
    - The rear carb was loose and possibly stripped out on the intake manifold. I'm seeking new bolts and maybe a new intake manifold, I'm thinking this was the root of my performance issues
    - I don't think this one has sponsons, and I learned REAL quick that turning at idle speeds will almost put you in the lake Can I add sponsons and gain some stability?

My wife and I are new riders and I'm sure experience is going to be our best bet with these puppies. I know there's a wealth of knowledge on maintenance and care on this site and I look forward to learning more. The fuel and electrical systems on these look good/clean/well maintained (plugs are new, etc.).

Thanks in advance for any insight you folks can provide, and excuse me if I missed answers to any of my questions in my searching.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	468825_10150657933285838_503360837_9461892_561861572_o.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	73.6 KB 
ID:	269754
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	skis.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	76.7 KB 
ID:	269755  

Welcome to th Hulk!!!

You are definitely at the right place for sound advice.
    As an L plater myself I cant offer any advise for you but know there are guys here who are some of the best.
    Enjoy

+1
    Welcome to the Hulk!

Some pics of the specific areas you have questions on would be helpful - ie switch that you don't know what it controls, linkages with coat hangers, FA sheet metal cover,etc.......

I transcend race Hombre! TBone14's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by mdugas View Post
    Hi everyone! I've done my fair share of lurking and searching around here, so I want to introduce myself and throw out some specific questions.

First time ski owner, picked up a '96 SLT700 and '99 SLH700 with a 5-year old 2-up trailer for $3200.

Both skis seemed to be in good shape and I looked them over and ran them for a few seconds before I purchased so excuse my ignorange for anything I may ask.

Took both skis out on the water a few days after we purchased them. The SLT ran great and we had a good time on it. A few things I noticed after running around on it:

- Looks like one of the bilge pickup hoses is broken - obviously an easy fix
    - I notice this model doesn't have a specific "bilge" button like the SLH... Does the bilge operate when the engine is running? There was a fair bit of water in the hull after riding - Should run automatically in this model
    - Fuel gauge doesn't work (I'm told this is common and certainly not a deal breaker)
    - There is an "on/off" switch on the handlebars (not momentary), but I can't figure out what it is powering. Could it be the bilge? Not sure - could be, but was added on, I'm sure....Pic would be helpful here.
    My major problems are with the SLH... It started up and idled fine, but the minute you gave it any throttle it would cut off. I decided I would table it until I could look further... Here's what I found:

- The MFD was missing when we bought it - I know these fail regularly, but could it being non-existant be causing me issues? - No, ski would run fine with it unplugged
    - The trim motor arm is disconnected and tucked up underneath It looks like they connected the trim adjustment to the steering linkage with a piece of coathanger ( again) - Probably disconnected it due to trim motor seizing, it is common for the gears to corrode and easy to fix, just open it up and clean it - search on here and you will find a thread showing someone doing it.
    - The flame arrestor was replaced with Ocean Pro Vortex filters with a homemade sheet metal "cover" - I'm thinking about putting a stock flame arrestor back on this - Ocean Pros are stock on that model, not sure why they replaced the covers, but if it seals up, you should be OK
    - The rear carb was loose and possibly stripped out on the intake manifold. I'm seeking new bolts and maybe a new intake manifold, I'm thinking this was the root of my performance issues - Definitely fix this, in fact, you should go through the fuel systems (including rebuilding the carbs) on both skis - you can find a TON of threads on this topic
    - I don't think this one has sponsons, and I learned REAL quick that turning at idle speeds will almost put you in the lake Can I add sponsons and gain some stability? - Should have come with factory sponsons - yes you can add them back

My wife and I are new riders and I'm sure experience is going to be our best bet with these puppies. I know there's a wealth of knowledge on maintenance and care on this site and I look forward to learning more. The fuel and electrical systems on these look good/clean/well maintained (plugs are new, etc.).

Thanks in advance for any insight you folks can provide, and excuse me if I missed answers to any of my questions in my searching.

Name:	468825_10150657933285838_503360837_9461892_561861572_o.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	73.6 KB 
ID:	269754
    See comments in RED

Visit polarispwcknowledge.shorturl.com and start reading - it is an awesome source for information

Thanks for the tips everyone. I'll try and get some more pictures tonight (we keep the skis at my in-laws or I would've included) so I can update.

I've already pulled the horrible sheet metal cover, figured I wouldn't run the ski until I got the proper cover. There is actually no base and no cover (I'll get some pics) - would the SLH use the same cover/base/gaskets as the SLT (something like the attached)?

Name:	Screen Shot 2012-04-25 at 10.24.12 AM.png 
Views:	36 
Size:	299.7 KB 
ID:	269765

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mdugas View Post
    Thanks for the tips everyone. I'll try and get some more pictures tonight (we keep the skis at my in-laws or I would've included) so I can update.

I've already pulled the horrible sheet metal cover, figured I wouldn't run the ski until I got the proper cover. There is actually no base and no cover (I'll get some pics) - would the SLH use the same cover/base/gaskets as the SLT (something like the attached)?

Name:	Screen Shot 2012-04-25 at 10.24.12 AM.png 
Size:	299.7 KB 
ID:	269765
    Yes, it could, but I would look for the Ocean Pro's that it came with....

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk.

Alright, I managed to stop and snag some pics of the skis today. Here are some of my questionable items:

1) Here is the underside of the Ocean Pro and the top of the carb that was loose to the intake manifold. Shouldn't there be a gasket here?
    2) A picture of the air cleaner cover that was on the SLH
    3) The trim adjustment (I pulled the stock arm down from underneath the ski, but you can see how it is currently attached)
    4) My "mystery button" - I assumed it was aftermarket based on the WCC grips

TIA.

Name:	photo 1.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	87.8 KB 
ID:	269823Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 2.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	65.2 KB 
ID:	269824Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 3.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	81.1 KB 
ID:	269825Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 4.jpg 
Size:	86.3 KB 
ID:	269826

+1
    Just pitch the sheet metal - those ocean pros are complete.

Clean and free up your trim motor and reconnect the arm with a cotter pin (stainless)

Not sure bout button - what happens when you push it?

Quote Originally Posted by TBone14 View Post
    Just pitch the sheet metal - those ocean pros are complete.

Clean and free up your trim motor and reconnect the arm with a cotter pin (stainless)

Not sure bout button - what happens when you push it?
    So no gasket required on the Ocean Pros? Self sealing? I've ordered new appropriate bolts from Fastenal. Hoping the intake manifold isn't stripped out...

I will get to work on the trim motor.

Absolutely nothing when I push the button (at least with the engine off). Its not a momentary, it's a click on or off.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information