Differences in pre 06 and post 06 blocks

After trying to find any info on the block differences and not finding much info, I decided to start this thread. Any one interested in using an older block in a newer ski must do these imperative changes.
    The most important modification is drilling out the hole for the newer crankcase venting system. This is a hole behind the mag side balance shaft gear that found on the newer blocks to allow venting of the crankcase. The older blocks do not have this hole as they vent out the fill tube with the electronic TOPS valve. Do this before building the engine to save yourself a lot of head ache!
    Secondly, if using an older crankshaft, the ignition timing is in a different spot and the rotor wheel will need to be turned to accommodate the newer crank sensor location. Match up the pin location from the crankshaft you're changing.
    These are the two major differences I've seen when swapping an older style engine into a newer ski.
    Any info on the heads would be appreciated.
    Please feel free to add any other differences you've encountered so that we can make a list for everyone to use as reference.
    Thanks

+1
    Really? No info? Try looking at the top of the page...

Quote Originally Posted by Alpheus View Post
    Really? No info? Try looking at the top of the page...
    This is NOT covered in the head/block combination thread at the top of forum. I read that thread, many times before installing a 2005 block in my 155hp 2006 GTX. Now it seems I have to pull the engine and tear it down again after installing it tonight?

What if I don't address this, what happens? Is this only a SC issue? Can I vent the crankcase another way?

I didn't find the info at the top of the page when I looked. I may have missed it but nevertheless, you need to drill this hole or the venting system used on the 06 model will be useless. You will blow the dipstick out and fill the hull with oil. It's not as bad a task as it sounds. I drilled mine through the hole in the balanceshaft gear being very careful to clean out all debris. I drilled two smaller holes instead of one larger hole. Of course, it would be preferred to drill the larger hole when the engine is apart and the balance shaft is out.

I pulled my engine out last night, tore it down far enough to pull the balance shaft out and drilled the hole. I was able to leave the crank, rods and head connected and did not have to redo the timing. It did not take too much to remove the engine as I only had it sitting in the machine and had not made many connections yet. The hardest and longest part of the process it cleaning the gasket material off the 2 case halves so that I could reapply the "Right Stuff" gasket maker. I thought about taking a short cut, but in end, it was not worth it.

I am curious how it is that no one else has reported this issue - maybe no one replaced their block with a 2005 or older? All the posts I read up to this point stated that the block from all years are the same. I have my broken 2006 block as a reference and the hole in that block definetly does not exist in the 2005 block I used to replace it - a 9/16 drill bit resolved that difference.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ghlenz View Post
    I pulled my engine out last night, tore it down far enough to pull the balance shaft out and drilled the hole. I was able to leave the crank, rods and head connected and did not have to redo the timing. It did not take too much to remove the engine as I only had it sitting in the machine and had not made many connections yet. The hardest and longest part of the process it cleaning the gasket material off the 2 case halves so that I could reapply the "Right Stuff" gasket maker. I thought about taking a short cut, but in end, it was not worth it.

I am curious how it is that no one else has reported this issue - maybe no one replaced their block with a 2005 or older? All the posts I read up to this point stated that the block from all years are the same. I have my broken 2006 block as a reference and the hole in that block definetly does not exist in the 2005 block I used to replace it - a 9/16 drill bit resolved that difference.
    Do you have pictures where you drilled the hole?

Quote Originally Posted by hotbird View Post
    Do you have pictures where you drilled the hole?
    No because I put the engine back together before I even made this post. If you look at a 2006 block v. the 2005 block it is very obvious where the hole needs to be drilled. If you can find a picture of an engine that does not have the balance shaft installed, I can mark where the hole would go. I have a broken 2006 block at home, if I remember, I will try to snap a picture so you can see where BPR put the hole in the newer blocks.

With the 2006 or newer TOPS that is now placed on the front of the engine(PTO side) you must make this block modification. The 2006 and newer blocks have a hole above the the balance shaft. This hole is slightly less than a 1/2" (12mm most likely) I think I drilled mine 29/64" But 1/2" would probably work fine.

See the attached image from a 2006 block. I marked with red arrows where you would need to drill your 2005 or older block if using in a 2006 or newer ski. I drilled a hole in a 2005 block and it worked just fine in my 2006 GTX. This hole keeps your engine from developing too much crankcase pressure since Sea-Doo moved the TOPS location starting in 2006.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2006 and newer blocks.jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	102.8 KB 
ID:	273436

Thread Information