Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Leak at rear of Yamaha SUV Intermediate housing help?

I strapped my SUV to my lift and submerged it to find a leak at the between the very rear of the intermediate housing and the bearing housing assembly. I unbloted and pulled the bearing housing assembly toward the engine about 1/4" (that's all the further it would go) rotated it 180 degrees to pack a bunch of clear RTV sealant around it on the back where it seats to the Intermediate housing. When I put it back together, I think the rubber black boot that sticks out very close to the edge of the bearing housing assembly rear end may now be leaking. Is the easiest way to rebuild this area right just to pull the engine forward 2 inches and then pull the dang pump? Sure seems like it may be easier that way?

+1
    Picture? Is it the black tube thingies?

Sorry...here is the part in question. Initially, it was leaking from what I believe to be the union between the 2 metal circular parts bolted to the bulkhead. Now it seems to be leaking from this black rubber "boot" type of thing. Pinched?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bearing housing.JPG 
Views:	179 
Size:	86.6 KB 
ID:	269876  

+1
    Look like you need to rebulid the intermediate housing, you need to take it out, but u need to unmount the engine and sligh it away for few inches.

That is what I was worried about. One local guy told me the intermediate housing had pressed on parts and that I was going to have to order one rebuilt for me. From the schematic, I hardly agree but will find out soon. I'm hoping it is just a torn or rotted Oring to make my life easier.

+1
    Actually, it really looks like either the seals or toast, or the bearing assembly itself has the rubber assembly stripped out. You'll probably need to replace the unit, or have it rebuilt.

This guy can rebuild it.
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rhaas-...12717472096935

Cool. Thanks! If I can get my other SUV to stop leaking this weekend I'll rip out the bearing assembly on this one and take photos of the damage to see if you guys are right.

+1
    Arent you the guy thats local to me?

Quote Originally Posted by WFO View Post
    Arent you the guy thats local to me?

crap! totally forgot to ask you about this. Bad to assume that you guys don't do re-builds on simple stuff like this when you do heavier lifting on bigger stuff. Yep...it's me and I will be bringing you some business if I can't remedy this on my own. PM me a price on getting the bearing assembly rebuilt. I was looking into buying a cheap HF shop press to try a DIY on it though. Can't be too difficult to press some bearings off and back on again??? The problem is the $150 tool to do the job.

+1
    is it leaking from inside the red ring or outside? if inside you need to check the bearing. if outside it is the rubber seal, the often cause of the seal to break is over grease. the grease kind of push it open.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information