Reassembling OEM rideplate? -- 06 RXP

I have an OEM plate from '06 RXP and I need to reassemble the upper half back to the plate with all those screws...

For those of you who've done this before, can you tell me for sure if the OUTER perimeter seal is a replaceable seal?
    It looks and feels like it's a permanant type of seal (hard and fixed), and that maybe I'll just have to run a thin, narrow layer of gasket maker over the top of it before screwing the upper plate back on.
    Or, has anyone not done anything to this outer perimeter seal AT ALL before reassembling - with success/no leaks??

Thanks,
    sean

+1
    Its actually a pretty nice flexible rubber seal that you can take out and re-use. The top of the gasket will feel flat and hard, but it is a kept rubber O-ring type gasket that you can re-use. If everything is really clean (use Brake Clean or alcohol and clean the top plate, bottom plate and the rubber gasket), you should be able to re-use it (you do not need/want to remove the gasket, just clean everthing really well), just maybe add a dab of good silicone on each screw mounting boss, reassemble, and torque the screws correctly, you should be OK.

I will tell you again tho, screw all that, go heat exchanger and you can install the plate without the top at all, or install a Riva plate or any other plate. Just my take ... I like the heat exchanger and the freedom it brings.

SPEED COMES 1/10 @ A TIME SpeedFreeks Racing's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by blkturbo! View Post
    I have an OEM plate from '06 RXP and I need to reassemble the upper half back to the plate with all those screws...

For those of you who've done this before, can you tell me for sure if the OUTER perimeter seal is a replaceable seal?
    It looks and feels like it's a permanant type of seal (hard and fixed), and that maybe I'll just have to run a thin, narrow layer of gasket maker over the top of it before screwing the upper plate back on.
    Or, has anyone not done anything to this outer perimeter seal AT ALL before reassembling - with success/no leaks??

Thanks,
    sean
    sean, use good bead of sealent around the outer perimeter as you stated.... as'well as all of the screw holes before you install the top plate...... now after you have install the top plate installed put a nice dab of sealent in each of the holes to about the size of the head of the bolt.

Quote Originally Posted by Vern View Post
    I will tell you again tho, screw all that, go heat exchanger and you can install the plate without the top at all, or install a Riva plate or any other plate. Just my take ... I like the heat exchanger and the freedom it brings.

Thanks for the answers Vern and Erik!

@ Vern, I'm pretty sure I'll be pretty content breaking 80 with my closed loop/speedfreeks plate set-up. Over the years, Ive dealt with a couple of cars in my past that gave me overheating issues after making them faster....both cars had larger 3 core, aluminum radiators, silicone hoses, cooler thermostats, water wetter, bla bla bla.....I seriously dont want to get into all that drama again with a ski that I often ride alone in the wide open desert @ 115 degree sun/heat during the summer.....all in the name of only MAYBE gaining 0.5-1mph over a speedfreeks plate And wondering what day it'll be that I DO overheat because maybe my heat exchanger set-up just wasn't the best configuration for my ski afterall. All that rideplate freedom just isn't worth that tiny gain to me, especially considering ALL the posts I've read about how Riva plates fit totally ghetto and require grinding and shimming. Screw all that
    I don't plan to go any faster than my stock ECU will ever allow me, so i dont care for some really cool or wild cooling set-up that will only get me all out in left field.

Thread Information