Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Is it a bird? Is it a plane? RXPX's Avatar

Filling ride plate holes question

I just filled my ride plate holes as per the how-to thread but had 2 quick questions.

1) If u sand down the filling and accidentally sand the ride plate a bit do you need to treat the sanded metal with anything to stop corrosion?

2) I stupidly used a marine sealant that has a bit of flex in it. Will this ruin the gains from filling the holes? Is it worth getting the crap out and re-doing it with a hard curing epoxy putty?

Thank you

Dont need to treat the plate with anything. Its aluminum and these things get grinded to hell when modified anyway Just smooth out your scratches with sofetr sandpaper if they are deep ones.

Id wait and see how they feel when they cure. Either way, the filling is probably just fine as long as theyre not falling out after a couple of rides, and that you dont have too much rope inside. I dont even use ropw anymore. I just fill the whole hole

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by RXPX View Post
    I just filled my ride plate holes as per the how-to thread but had 2 quick questions.

1) If u sand down the filling and accidentally sand the ride plate a bit do you need to treat the sanded metal with anything to stop corrosion?

2) I stupidly used a marine sealant that has a bit of flex in it. Will this ruin the gains from filling the holes? Is it worth getting the crap out and re-doing it with a hard curing epoxy putty?

Thank you
    Might be a bitch to get that stuff out since there is a little give, I'd try to get it out before it fully cures and use jb water weld or something of that nature.

Quote Originally Posted by jhill19 View Post
    Might be a bitch to get that stuff out since there is a little give, I'd try to get it out before it fully cures.
    I wouldn't sweat that, because even the shit that drys hard as a rock is a pain to remove with all the chipping away at the pieces. So, picking away at anything that may be a little softer doesnt seem would change any of that. And really, its not like its really hard to remove because all you need to do is get enough off so that a socket will go on the bolt....then removing the bolt helps clear more of the way.

EDIT: and plus, because the stuff is already in there now

Is it a bird? Is it a plane? RXPX's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blkturbo! View Post
    I wouldn't sweat that, because even the shit that drys hard as a rock is a pain to remove with all the chipping away at the pieces. So, picking away at anything that may be a little softer doesnt seem would change any of that. And really, its not like its really hard to remove because all you need to do is get enough off so that a socket will go on the bolt....then removing the bolt helps clear more of the way.

EDIT: and plus, because the stuff is already in there now
    This stuff is incredibly sticky, I rode yesterday before they had properly cured or been sanded flat and still none even looked like coming out. I have a feeling it wont be fun scraping them all out even with the rope and duct tape. I suppose I don't have to scrape 100% of the stuff out if im going to be re-filling them all anyway.

I'll sand them all properly now that I'm not worried about the ride plate and do a speed run before I decide whether or not to pull the plugs and re-do them.

Thanks for the input guys

+1
    Let us know if there is a real top speed gain.
    Never saw a difference on the 300X, so kind of lazy to do it on the PX.

+1
    Get it out. Replace it with the plumbers putty. When or if you need to take it out, use a simple flat head screwdriver and a hammer and hit in the center. It usually comes out with ease. JMO!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by MSRXP View Post
    Get it out. Replace it with the plumbers putty. When or if you need to take it out, use a simple flat head screwdriver and a hammer and hit in the center. It usually comes out with ease. JMO!
    Seriously?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by dnielsen View Post
    Seriously?

I think he meant plumbers epoxy.....plumbers putty is like play-doh

info

Quote Originally Posted by MSRXP View Post
    Sorry my friend , how do you talk about pwc with those beautiful friends in the picture on your avatar?:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information