45mile Shore 2 Shore Open Water Ride, Chicago to Michigan

My friend and I are thinking about taking our RXT-X 255 and GTXis 255 from Chicago to Michigan straight across the lake. (45 miles) We each will be bringing a 5 gallon gas tank. At a maximum we will be 16 miles from shore. Does anyone have any similar experiences, warnings, suggestions?

We plan on waiting for a day when the water is like glass, and we will tell people on both sides of our plans. Just hoping we don't come across any large floating debris.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Chicago to New Buff.png 
Views:	215 
Size:	131.7 KB 
ID:	269879  

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    cell phone, some kind of GPS beacon transmitter, small inflatable life raft, small care package; water bottles, bag of chips, candy bar, small tool kit, extra spark plugs, flare(s) or flare gun, led flash light, wet suit in case you have to get in, sun screen, knife, rope, 10 gal of gas just cause you never now. I think I covered the paranoid kit

+1
    A full tank will go the 45 miles without problems but you'll need to top off before returning.

+1
    Sounds like fun and you'll enjoy it if you get the right conditions. The list above is a good start, but most importantly, file a float plan and stick to it. This is assuming you have laid down a GPS track that you will be following...? It's not as simple as pointing that compass due east and going; well, it hasn't been for me...

http://www.zimbio.com/PWC+Riding/art...+Ride+05+13+08

Miami to Bimini (via Key West) PWC Ride – 05/13/08

Have you ridden a mile or two offshore on the same route? Local knowledge is what matters. A marine radio might be helpful as boats in the area will monitor it and pick you up if needed. But with two craft that shouldn't be needed.

The extra fuel shouldn't be needed if your fueling before returning. Each craft will need to carry an audio and visual signaling device. This can be as simple as a distress flag and whistle. I would carry a floating VHF radio. Here are some links of 2 guys who crossed at a much wider part than your planning.

I'm planning some runs between milwakee and muskegon as a training trip for a multiday trip, I'm gonna follow the lake express ferry across. If you wan't to head up this way your welcome to join

+1
    Very Cool!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by airbornexp View Post
    cell phone, some kind of GPS beacon transmitter, small inflatable life raft, small care package; water bottles, bag of chips, candy bar, small tool kit, extra spark plugs, flare(s) or flare gun, led flash light, wet suit in case you have to get in, sun screen, knife, rope, 10 gal of gas just cause you never now. I think I covered the paranoid kit
    +1...Ive docked my boat in Hammond and have seen Lake Michigan turn in a heartbeat...She will be as calm as can be and with the shift of the wind become a raging bitch with 8-10 foot waves....Make sure you have a GPS that is working..A way of communicating with the Coast guard and sombody on stand by if they have to come to Michigan and pick you up...it sounds like a fun ride BUT can turn deadly if your not prepared....Also watch the wind direction for that day..if it is coming out of the North forget it, you will be battling huge ass waves all the way across..if it is coming out of the South you should be ok...also extra gas, if you can strap it to the ski would be a must as 45 miles straight across is do able,BUT what if you drift off course a bit??Then you may use more gas than expected....Be safe,have fun and good luck...

Thread Information