Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ultra 260x pump bearing cant remove? stuck!

im upgrading my 260x pump shaft and bearings to the new 300x shaft and triple bearing setup. i got the old shaft out with the back bearing. but i cant budge the front bearing its stuck in the pump housing. iam pushing from the front of the pump to push the bearing out the back of the pump. im pushing on the sleeve that seals against the 3 rubber seals. do u need to heat these pumps up to release the bearing?
    i have rebuilt many smaller pumps and never had a problem. what is going on?

+1
    are you using a workshop press? if not i suggest you do, they do tend to bind in a little.

i guess i need to take it somewhere, looks like u need to press the bearing like 2 inches to get it out. i only moved it a 1/2 inch beating on it. the junky harber freight press have to much slop in em. i dont want to ruin the new bearings also. when u put the new double bearing setup. do u press one bearing down till seated then press the next right down till it touches the first?

+1
    hope you havent scored the bearing sleeve by beating on it yes press one in at a time from the outer race but support the centre of the pump housing

i have a new sleeve but im using the old shaft to beat on to try to get the bearing out and the end of shaft is dead, but im using the new 300x shaft so no worries. i just cant believe how tight its in there, if it sits up against a shoulder there is no need for it to be that tight. iam going to have to clean up/dremel the aluminum so i can get the new 2 bearings to fit in, they wont even start and they have to go down like 2 inches.

+1
    i was reffering to scoring the housing sleeve!! where the outer bearings press against. i wouldnt use a dremel, just use wet and dry sandpaper and give it a good clean. the bearings need to be pressed in and out very squarely or you will bur the housing. repack the front seals and fill the cavity around the spacer with grease.

Take the time to smile sirbreaksalot's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by thead View Post
    im upgrading my 260x pump shaft and bearings to the new 300x shaft and triple bearing setup. i got the old shaft out with the back bearing. but i cant budge the front bearing its stuck in the pump housing. iam pushing from the front of the pump to push the bearing out the back of the pump. im pushing on the sleeve that seals against the 3 rubber seals. do u need to heat these pumps up to release the bearing?
    i have rebuilt many smaller pumps and never had a problem. what is going on?
    this comment worries me , because behind the 3 seals their is a lip that yoiu cant move its part of the pump housing

YOU NEED TO PUSH ON THE INNER OF THE BEARINGS TO BE SURE YOU DONT HIT THE LIP , ONCE ALL 3 SEALS ARE OUT U WILL SEE WHAT i AM TALKING ABOUT .

Waz

im pushing on the sleeve that seals against the 3 rubber seals.
    Yup that's how to do it, doesn't worry me one bit. The sleeve or seal runner pushes on the inner race of the front bearing to force it out the ass end. So long as you don't push on the seals you'll be fine with having a small enough pressing tool. If you got a piece of threaded rod and a length of steel or wide angle steel over the back of the housing with a hole you could use a hollow socket as the pressing tool. Good boys don't beat on jet ski parts.

yeah i was looking for a piece of threaded rod yesterday around the house, but couldnt find any long enough. my friend works at a machine shop and has a huge press, will take it there on sunday. the back bearing just fell out but the front bearing is extremely tight. no need for such nonsense. i have rebuilt plenty of pumps but this one is the devil! funny how the service manual has a pic of there special kawi tool being hit with a hammer to seat the bearings. no way a hammer is going to work on my pump.

+1
    the front bearing is a press in fit the rear bearing is not!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information