Thread: 199 ok?

+1

199 ok?

My CanDoo shows an operating temp hovering around 199.
    Stock thermostat.
    30 plate hx (pump to ic to hx to exhaust/dump)
    New pistons and crank bearings, so this temperature is from an engine with <1hr staying under 6000rpm.
    Is this acceptable? After break-in, would a 160F thermostat be the better choice?
    Thanks!

Banned User
    +1
    OEM thermo is 188 degrees...The HX is working fine, those are the temps I've seen/measure with OEM in the past...And if you're signature mods are correct, then that would be another reason why...

What is the water temp you are riding?

A 160 thermo would be perfect, because it would bring your operating temp into the 165-175 range, which is optimum...You can also split the line, let the HX get cooler direct water instead of hotter waste water from the IC...

+1
    Water temp low 60's. Air, high 90's.
    T-ing the line is worth a shot. Had to build a custom muffler, and made three places to inject water. I am using one (two seemed much for break-in). I have the hardware sitting around to "T" it... gives me another excuse to tinker. The 160F thermo will be ordered to try out (Texas heat...). 100F+ and high 80'sF water. It's similar to a bath at times.
    Thanks!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    OEM thermo is 188 degrees...The HX is working fine, those are the temps I've seen/measure with OEM in the past...And if you're signature mods are correct, then that would be another reason why...

What is the water temp you are riding?

A 160 thermo would be perfect, because it would bring your operating temp into the 165-175 range, which is optimum...You can also split the line, let the HX get cooler direct water instead of hotter waste water from the IC...
    Danny, do you just cut in a 3/4 wye fitting before the I/C and plumb that to the HX then run the line straight from the I/C to the exhaust mani?...I'm always at 180*....just wondering if this would help a little

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Dyoung View Post
    Danny, do you just cut in a 3/4 wye fitting before the I/C and plumb that to the HX then run the line straight from the I/C to the exhaust mani?...I'm always at 180*....just wondering if this would help a little

There are several ways to route water...Since the HX setup has been introduced since summer of 2009, there have been many configurations...Many variables contribute to overall performance, so what/where/how you ride is key...

Optimum operating temp has been determined to be 170*, with a 10 degree window as PERFECT for both reliability and longevity on 4TEC motors...So aiming for 165-175 temp coming off head, or out of rear of thermo, is the goal.

(Following is my opinion, based on numbers found in testing and other's reported numbers, 30 plate HX)

If your setup is...

Internals = stock (pistons, bore)
    RPM's = stock
    Boost = stock, up to 12-13psi (bkit, 2 rude, XX, etc)
    Thermo = stock/160
    HX = 30 plate
    Routing = Single 3/4" entire length (Str/IC/HX/Ex)

RPM's = stock
    Boost = stock, up to 12-13psi (bkit, 2 rude, XX, etc)
    Thermo = stock/160
    HX = 30 plate
    Routing = 3/4" entire length system, split line after strainer...IC dump can go to either HX or exhaust, rider preference...(SPLIT, IC to exhaust/ HX own line) if you in the south...and (SPLIT, IC to HX/ exhaust own line) if you ride up north...

RPM's = 8500+
    Boost = 12-13+
    Thermo = stock/160
    HX = 30 plate
    Routing = 3/4" entire length system, split line after strainer...(SPLIT, IC to HX/ exhaust own line)...

Internals = anything
    RPM's = 8500+
    Boost = 13+
    Thermo = stock/160
    HX = 30 plate
    Routing = 3/4" entire length system, split line after strainer...(SPLIT, IC to HX/ exhaust own line)...

Running a stock thermo, which is 188 degrees, will keep your motor running in the 190's at any given time, with temps in the 200 range on extended WOT runs.......Try to get your thermo to open at 160, which will bring your operating temps into the proper range if you go with the proper routing.......

If you run the setups above, and have issues, PM me...I can help direct you to a resolution...I got spreadsheets upon spreadsheets of data on this...

+1
    cool.......thanks man..going to switch things up a bit..I'll get with you if I have any questions

Thread Information