Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1

Cold Weather Riding Gear

What do you wear when it's cold? how cold does it get by you?

I'm on Long Island... it's gettin pretty dang cold, definitely full wetsuit whether if i could catch a freaken day of no rain... forecast we
    re goin on like 10 day rain streak it seems... but i wanna go until AT LEAST thanksgiving i hope... then if i get a few sunny days mid-winter i'll go if the launch isn't frozen...

the ramp does freeze eventually but takes long cold spell... otherwise water will decline and by january be in the 30s and 40s until about mid-march it'll start to warm up again....

air temps... well they can be anywhere from zero to 50 degrees in the winter... it's unpredictable.

i'm mostly looking for something that will allow me to ride comfortably and call it quits maybe for just some of december till beginning of march...

drysuits seem to be like 500 and more!! wow... any alternatives? obviously i ride so as to not fall in during the cold months. i used to wear like a wetsuit, snow pants over that, and a rain coat... but my face, ears, fingers, and toes and torso got cold within 15 minutes usually... and the snot dripping down my face of course...

anyone have any fairly priced cold weather riding gear? brands and specifics are appreciated, thanks. and sometin flexible! not a stiff diving suit.

Central Arkansas or Missouri on lake of the Ozarks, Table Rock, Bull Shoals
    I remember a thread on this subject this time last year on pwctoday.com. I thought the consensus was that to ride in that kind of weather you need a full drysuit and some testes.

In southern MO/northern AR I rode in march in a full wetsuit and late march in a shorty wetsuit.

Shibby,

I ride up on the St. Lawerance it is cold now but not that bad. I wear insulated boots jeans and a sweat shirt. Then put on a $50.00 rain suit from columbia like what motorcycle guys wear in the rain. Gloves and a stocking hat. This will keep you warm adn you can ride all the way till Thanksgiving.

Gary

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    i thought about gettin a set of waders... but then god forbid i fell in those things will fill up with water and i'd either get hypothermia or i'd have to take them off in a hurry.... that and who knows if it would take me under of they filled up all the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Shibby1485
    i thought about gettin a set of waders... but then god forbid i fell in those things will fill up with water and i'd either get hypothermia or i'd have to take them off in a hurry.... that and who knows if it would take me under of they filled up all the way.
    Don't go with the waders!! I had a friend fall in a river one time it was hard getting him out and We could touch bottom!!!

I would like to order a pair of the first umm.....waders

Nonstop, all day, everyday. 01xdime's Avatar
    The problem around here is i can't find anything in stores until spring and i need some riding boots. Anyone know a good website?

+1
    Mustiang Survival used to make a PWC survival suit. I am not sure if they still do but it is what I use for riding. It has a lifejacket in the coat and floater pants.
    I have used it in minus 10 celcius and was very warm.
    I also use wetsuit booties and snowmobile gloves to keep the other parts warm.
    If you need something other than a toque for your head I would suggest a closed face snowmoblile helmet.

I ride all winter in the uk, it doesnt get as cold as -10 but there are days when its 0deg maybe -1 or -2

I wear a Crewsaver Drysuit , with a fleece and tracksuit pants underneath, A good pair of waterproof gloves, thick socks and slippery boots, and a Gecko full face helmet.

The helmet is the most important part as it stops IceCream head when you get a wave over you. which can really hurt.

http://www.geckoheadgear.co.uk/

+1

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information