Getting the Ski going again in the spring

Hey all,

I didn't really get around to winterizing my Polaris SL780 last fall. This included not turning the gas off nor running it out of gas Now the ski won't start. I can crank it with choke until the battery is dead and crank it full throttle until the battery is dead with not so much as a pop. It has spark and if I dump a little gas in the cylinders she will fire and run for a second. What's the best way to fire up your ski after totally blowing the winterization?

Thanks,
    Dylan

Banned User
    +1
    Sounds like its not pumping fuel. See if you can get it running by priming the carbs with some premix. maybe it will prime the fuel pump that way.

Suck the gas tank dry, pull the plugs, crank it over to clear the cylinders, throw some fresh 91 in it, some fresh plugs, and if it dosnt fire you probly need to pull the carbs and give them a once over. Also, dont hold the starter to long otherwise you will be replacing that as well. Im sure this isnt recomended, but after i clear the tank and fill it i like to hook a air compressor to the one way and open the fuel selector to do 2 things, make sure my fuel system is air tight and to get fuel through the lines and into the carbs. Also make sure you empty the sperator. One of my friends has a sl650 that sat with bad gas in it for almost 5 years, drained the gas, refilled it, and it fired right off and still runs great, but some are just more lucky then others and alot depends on where it sat.

good luck

and listen to anything bryanp says, he knows his polaris

+1
    Remove the fuel inlet line going from the fuel/water seperator to the fuel pump, then use a small funnel & get some fuel in the line going to the fuel pump, then put the lineback on & fill the water seperator with fuel, put a small amount of fuel in the cylinders, put spark plugs back in & then give it a try. Also the fuel that you use if it had ehtanol in it & sat over the winter you may need to clean out carbs to get it right.

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by RLACEMAN View Post
    Remove the fuel inlet line going from the fuel/water seperator to the fuel pump, then use a small funnel & get some fuel in the line going to the fuel pump, then put the lineback on & fill the water seperator with fuel, put a small amount of fuel in the cylinders, put spark plugs back in & then give it a try. Also the fuel that you use if it had ehtanol in it & sat over the winter you may need to clean out carbs to get it right.

Yes ethanol sucks. It absorbs water, and separates out of the fuel and settles to the bottom of the tank. Thats why I go out of my way to avoid it. Good suggestions Dan.

Thread Information