+1

Do you need a torqueplate when honing your cylinders yes or no>

I just wanted to know, how many of us have used a torqueplate, when the cylinders had to be honed.
    Found a post somewhere which says to do this only on the bigger engines.
    But some say you must use a torque plate.

It all has to do with the roundness of the cylinder , and how far the bolt holes are away from the cylinder walls.

I had my cylinders honed to 0,010 first oversize to fit cp pistons.

The machineshop owner advised a torque plate,but i don't have one,so the hone job was done without one.
    He warned me there might be some oil consumption.

I would like some input from you guys.

Thanks.

+1
    Here is the answer from SUCK MY WAKE ,he wrote this in an other thread.

Using a torque plate on the 4-tec motors is NOT that crutial, the cylinders are not connected to the outer part of the block where the bolts/studs may or may not distort due to clamping forces. On automotive motors where the cylinder and the deck of the block are connected it is recommended to use the torque plate but on motors that the cylinders are not connected it isn't going to have the same affects. That is why if you install a block guard you should do so before you have the cylinders bored/honed because you chance distorting the cylinder wall's

+1
    I would say it would be adviseable if the head bolt threads were located at deck height (like a generation 1 Chevy small block), but seeing that the head bolts (or studs) are threaded at the bottom of the bores..........that doesn't mean you shouldn't use a torque plate.

+1
    I have done probably 2 dozen motors so far that have needed to be bored and/or honed and have never used a torque plate. Not one of them has experianced any oil consumption issues or any other problems due to not using a torque plate. The only issue I found was when installing a block guard AFTER the block was bored, it distored the bore's slightly and had to have it rebored/honed so that was a learning experiance and in THAT case since you are now technically connecting the sleeves with the outer part of the block it could be advantagous to use a torque plate when boring/honing. I was told by my machinist who by the way has done ALOT of work on 4 stroke motorcycle motors and turbo motors that with the way the cylinders are layed out on our motors that a torque plate is really NOT necessary due to the fact that the threaded hold down point on the block is not connected to the cylinders therefore when you torque down the head it is not going to pull on the cylinder in anyway..........

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by suck my wake View Post
    The only issue I found was when installing a block guard AFTER the block was bored, it distored the bore's slightly and had to have it rebored/honed so that was a learning experiance and in THAT case since you are now technically connecting the sleeves with the outer part of the block it could be advantagous to use a torque plate when boring/honing. .
    hmmmm, PPG told a customer of mine to send them his block, they will bore, hone, deck the block, and when he gets it back he can install his block gaurd! LMAO!

+1
    Thanks for the good info ,there wasn't really an how to on honing our 4-tec engines.
    I was afraid i was going to run in problems, caused by not using a torque plate.
    Good information on the block guard also,hope this helps others.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Slow 91 View Post
    hmmmm, PPG told a customer of mine to send them his block, they will bore, hone, deck the block, and when he gets it back he can install his block gaurd! LMAO!

Unfortunately he may find out the hard way that is not a good move, either is sending his parts to PPG. That may be his worst mistake

Thread Information