Waverunner 500 elect. problems

Hello everyone, I am hoping that someone out there can lend some knowlege on the electrical on this machine. I believe that the cdi is bad on this machine but I don't know how to test it to be sure. I don't want to buy one if thats not the problem. The machine has no spark. When I pulled it out of storage it fired up for a couple seconds now I have no spark. I have a cdi from a running waverunner lll w/ 650, can i test the 500 with this cdi just to make sure that is the problem. Any assistance would be appreciated.

+1
    Un plug the conector on the handle bar start/ stop switch wire that has the black and white wires in it first. Leave the connector with the red and brown wires hooked up, now re check for spark. if you get spark you have a bad handlel bar start/ stop switch.

thanks for the reply. I already tried the start/stop switch. I also ohmed the charge coil, pulsar, and lighting coils. which leads me to believe that it is the cdi, so I was wondering if I could swap cdi's from my 650 just to make sure that is the problem. Just to test for spark. Thanks

Just tested the 500 w/ 650 cdi and have spark and machine fired up and ran. So I know that the 500 cdi is bad. Can I run a 500 with a 650 cdi. I ask because I have a extra 650 cdi. Thanks

Hi Everyone. I have two 89 WR500s and i'm having a strange issue with one of the CDI units.

The ski starts up fine with no issues when on the trailer. As soon as it touches water the engine turns over, but there is no spark. If I swap the known good CDI from the other WR500 there are no issues in the water.

Anyone know what would be causing this? I have one of those racing CDI units if needed

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by pipes View Post
    Just tested the 500 w/ 650 cdi and have spark and machine fired up and ran. So I know that the 500 cdi is bad. Can I run a 500 with a 650 cdi. I ask because I have a extra 650 cdi. Thanks

For anyone else looking into this, if you unplug the white and red pulse coil white in the e-box, the ski will run as it should. if you dont it will feel like its hitting a rev limiter just off idle.

Thread Information