2000 Yamaha SUV 1200 Questions

New to the forum but have been browsing for years. Just bought a 2000 Yamaha SUV 1200 for $1500.00 that I plan to do some coastal fishing with and I have some questions. The ski has 240 hours on the original motor, the ski was a little beat up (gel coat cracks around the gunwale) but overall seems to be in ok mechanical shape for 12 years old. Everything seems to work except the QSTS trim system which is probably a seized cable. I checked the compression and it was 100 psi in all cylinders evenly. I did see a lot of oil on the spark plugs when I removed them. But it cranks fine and while it is running on the hose seems to smoke very little until I stop the water, rev the engine a couple of times to clear the exhaust and stop the engine. I hear quiet a lot of noise with the engine cover removed. This could be the exhaust out of the water with a popping tin can sound I am hearing. I had a Sea Doo Speedster with two engines back about 10 years ago that the bearings in the jet drive went out on and I'm thinking the roaring and rattling may be coming from the jet drive but not sure.

1. How can I verify if the jet drive bearings are bad?
    2. What about oil on the spark plugs?
    3. How do I verify if the oil injection is working correctly? Could it be dumping too much oil into the engine?
    3. Too much smoke after I shut engine down? (Could be a normal amount.)
    4. What should the engine idle at while running in the driveway on the water hose? (2700 rpm too high) When I rev the engine it settle back down to 2700.

I haven't had a chance to try it out in the water yet. Just trying to check what I can before I get stranded on the water test.

Thanks for any input,

mdavidthomas
    Matthews, NC

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mdavidthomas View Post
    New to the forum but have been browsing for years. Just bought a 2000 Yamaha SUV 1200 for $1500.00 that I plan to do some coastal fishing with and I have some questions. The ski has 240 hours on the original motor, the ski was a little beat up (gel coat cracks around the gunwale) but overall seems to be in ok mechanical shape for 12 years old. Everything seems to work except the QSTS trim system which is probably a seized cable. I checked the compression and it was 100 psi in all cylinders evenly. I did see a lot of oil on the spark plugs when I removed them. But it cranks fine and while it is running on the hose seems to smoke very little until I stop the water, rev the engine a couple of times to clear the exhaust and stop the engine. I hear quiet a lot of noise with the engine cover removed. This could be the exhaust out of the water with a popping tin can sound I am hearing. I had a Sea Doo Speedster with two engines back about 10 years ago that the bearings in the jet drive went out on and I'm thinking the roaring and rattling may be coming from the jet drive but not sure.

1. How can I verify if the jet drive bearings are bad?
    2. What about oil on the spark plugs?
    3. How do I verify if the oil injection is working correctly? Could it be dumping too much oil into the engine?
    3. Too much smoke after I shut engine down? (Could be a normal amount.)
    4. What should the engine idle at while running in the driveway on the water hose? (2700 rpm too high) When I rev the engine it settle back down to 2700.

I haven't had a chance to try it out in the water yet. Just trying to check what I can before I get stranded on the water test.

Thanks for any input,

mdavidthomas
    Matthews, NC
    Pull cover over carbs and you can see if oil injecyion is working. What is too much smoke after shutdown? Idle should be about 1200 to 1300 in the water. Usually about 1600 out of water. Compression seems low. Battery in good cranking condition and good compression tester? Lets see some pics of spark plugs. Oil pump and cable hooked up and adjusted correctly.

+1
    The idle rpm in the water is around 1350 - 1400. Out of the water not under load the rpm is around 3000. Compress is low, make sure you do it when engine is warm. But since the compression is same across, I think you should be ok. $1500 is a good buy for a working suv. Show pic.

Compression Test was done with engine cold. Thanks for the input so far.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2000_YamahaSUV1200.jpg 
Views:	6435 
Size:	88.8 KB 
ID:	270323

2000 Yamaha SUV

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by birdgod View Post
    The idle rpm in the water is around 1350 - 1400. Out of the water not under load the rpm is around 3000. Compress is low, make sure you do it when engine is warm. But since the compression is same across, I think you should be ok. $1500 is a good buy for a working suv. Show pic.
    Should not be running a high rpm out of water. Low compression is not okay. That many hours it should be looked at. $1500 is a fair price with that many hours. Good luck it looks like a nice ski.

Got a chance to take the ski out this weekend for its initial test run. Saturday, I ran the unit on the hose and noticed the idle was down around 2000 rpms. Took it to the lake on Sunday and started right up and idled at 2 notches past the 1 on the factory tach. This indicates ~ 1400 rpm. Really need a better tach but the ski ran good, started good, and I found no leaks. For $1500, I feel pretty good so far about the purchase even with the low 100 psi even across the 3 cylinders. Here are the issues I found so far:

1. One of trim cables from the handle bar to the rotary cam under the dash is frozen and the rotary handle has seen it's better days.
    2. The fuel level is not reading correctly with a full tank runs 2 bars on factory gauge.
    3. Still have what sounds like a grinding sound that maybe in the jet drive or intermediate shaft....not sure what it should sound like.

Thanks all for your help.

mdavidthomas
    Matthews, NC

Thread Information