+1

fzr turbo vs supercharger

a turbo fzr vs a supercharged fzr witch would be more reliable an powerful any opinions

+1
    Easy. . . turbocharger is more powerful. . . supercharger is more reliable.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by engineermike View Post
    Easy. . . turbocharger is more powerful. . . supercharger is more reliable.
    isnt a turbo more reliable because it doesnt have a clutch to go out shafts to break etc.

Whats that whistling noise? jtskier11's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by tealgreen2000 View Post
    isnt a turbo more reliable because it doesnt have a clutch to go out shafts to break etc.
    Mike said it. Reliability kinda goes to pot with a turbo. Lot of other things your gonna have to do before you can really even think of throwing a turbo at it. Guy I knew threw a turbo on his 06 RXP because he was tired of SC washers. End of the day, I was always riding more than he was!!

+1
    While it is true that the turbo doesn't have washers to break, and rarely break shafts, they also introduce a myriad of new problems and points of failure, not the least of which is a lot of home-made or prototype parts that have not been designed or tested as extensively as the mainstream SC stuff.

+1
    To give an example of the power difference between the two systems. I was running 20 lbs of supercharger boost at 8900 rpm with a twin prop. I'm now running
    16 lbs. of turbo boost at 9100 rpm with the same twin prop. No problems with reliability so far, sure felt good throwing that sprag clutch in the trash can!!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by kansasgpr View Post
    To give an example of the power difference between the two systems. I was running 20 lbs of supercharger boost at 8900 rpm with a twin prop. I'm now running
    16 lbs. of turbo boost at 9100 rpm with the same twin prop. No problems with reliability so far, sure felt good throwing that sprag clutch in the trash can!!
    so you;d say it puts less pressure on the motor do to less boost to acheive the same results an wit has more punk the was that 20lbs with the h1 an how bad was it on clutchs

+1
    It is true that at the same boost level, turbo's will make more power. I've done this conversion twice. . . once on a 700 hp 383 Camaro (Vortech T trim -> T76GTS) and once on an RXP (RR -> T3 60 trim -> GT32). Both times, it gained power at the same boost level (~20 hp on the ski and ~50 on the car). Technically, you could lower the boost, enjoy the same power, and have less stress on the motor. However, there are new oil lines, new coolant lines (with new high points to vent and low points to drain), wastegates, jacketed exhaust piping (this is more difficult than it sounds), a LOT of new heat generation in a cramped space, thermal transients to worry about, not to speak of all the potential tuning issues that will undoubtably take place.

Don't get me wrong, they are fast. Crazy fast. Both my turbo camaro and ski put a grin on my face every time. However, I just got tired of working on them and sold them.

+1
    so you;d say it puts less pressure on the motor do to less boost to acheive the same results an wit has more punk the was that 20lbs with the h1 an how bad was it on clutchs
    No parasitic drag with turbo set-up, as u do with a supercharger. 20 lbs was with an Engine-Tech billet supercharger with slip clutch on shaft. Sprag clutch lasted four motos of rough closed course racing and a couple days of practice, the slip was checked regularly.

Thread Information