+1

Checking 2010 Carbon Seal

I'm trying to prep a couple friends skis for the season, and checking them out. One of them, I know was run out of the water enough to get the high exhaust warning.(he HAD to run it after he put the battery back in ) I ran it in water and warning is gone, and the exhaust all seems fine. no leaks or messed up hoses.

However, I'm concerned he ran it long enough to possibly hurt his carbon seal. So my question after reading a bunch of thread on it is,

1. Is there a way I can pull the accordian boot back and check the seal for any damage?
    2. If I back it into the water on its trailer, and run it, will I see leaks, or do I need to take it out on the lake and run it? Not wanting to risk sinking in 58* water if I don't have to. IOW, if the seal is damaged, how long does it take for the ski to take on water?

I read a few threads here on replacing the seal on older skis, but I haven't seen ony on the newer skis with the driveshaft threaded in. parts view looks like there is no c clip/O rings, just the seal. Has anyone replaced this carbon seal, and if so can you give the steps about how involved it is?

thanks!

+1
    Took the ski out on the lake today. It LOVES 55* water!) First ride, I found a leaking sea strainer gasket, which let water into the rear, plus some bounced around. Fixed that, sucked/dried all the water out and took it out again. Very small bit of water way up in front of the motor which it has gotten since day one (hatches I guess). I ran the ski about 4 or 5 miles, varing speeds, WOT etc , and a bunch of hole shots. No cavitation

Can I "assume" that I would have seen a bunch of water in the hull riding this way, for this distance if there was an issue with the seal?

+1
    Usually if a carbon seal goes bad you will know it, it will go down fast. Should be fine I think if no issues arrose on the water. you could change it for piece of mind. Does he have a bilge pump just incase?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jhill19 View Post
    Usually if a carbon seal goes bad you will know it, it will go down fast. Should be fine I think if no issues arrose on the water. you could change it for piece of mind. Does he have a bilge pump just incase?
    No bilgh pump, but on the list before it gets into riding season.

Yes, I saw no issues riding it. From what I've read on GH, it seems that the seal is either good or bad. And if its bad, its not a trickle, but a flood.

Wondering if there is a way to check it without pulling the drive shaft. 2010's have the pump bolted to the ride plate and are a pain in the butt to pull, not to mention, on my own ski, its already broken the bolts once. If i don't have to take it apart, I'd prefer that.

Can you see the seal if you unclamp the bellows? The Doo shop manual is very lacking on any info on this.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by zone 5 View Post
    No bilgh pump, but on the list before it gets into riding season.

Yes, I saw no issues riding it. From what I've read on GH, it seems that the seal is either good or bad. And if its bad, its not a trickle, but a flood.

Wondering if there is a way to check it without pulling the drive shaft. 2010's have the pump bolted to the ride plate and are a pain in the butt to pull, not to mention, on my own ski, its already broken the bolts once. If i don't have to take it apart, I'd prefer that.

Can you see the seal if you unclamp the bellows? The Doo shop manual is very lacking on any info on this.
    On the 04 the seal is clamped to the bellows.

+1
    On the 04 the seal is clamped to the bellows.
    Not sure whats different on the 2010, except the driveshaft is screwed in with no C clip.

Does the seal being clamped to the bellows mean that you can't see it?

+1
    right

+1
    right
    Does Your "right" mean that I can't see it?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by zone 5 View Post
    Does Your "right" mean that I can't see it?
    correct

+1
    Thanks!!!

Thread Information