Exclamation Getting the WaveRunners ready for the Spring/Summer

Hi all, I've been a member here for a while, but obviously rarely post. I have a 2004 Yamaha FX Cruiser HO and a 2006 Yamaha FX Cruiser HO that I've owned since new. As with most pwc owners, we don't exactly care for them as much as we'd like to, but they certainly aren't in bad shape. But every time we put them away for the Winter (usually around late September), we fail to "winterize" them properly...which normally results in fouling the spark plugs or some other issue that means we have to bring them from Houma, LA to our dealership in NOLA. And since I am still in school at LSU and my dad is busy with work during the week and other stuff on weekends, it's hard to find time to do everything.

Anyway, my question is, is it absolutely necessary to siphon the old fuel out of the tanks before we start running them for the Spring/Summer? What are some easy but crucial maintenance things I can, and should, do before running them? What is your usual process when preparing the Waverunners for the Summer? I was kind of hoping to take them out today...but not sure how likely that will be.

Thanks for your help.

-Jordan

Neighborhood Superman SlowStang305's Avatar
    +1
    Jordan, you don't really need to take them to the dealership each time. Working on 4 stroke Yamaha's is the easiest thing. The plugs are right there on the top, the air filter is right there on the top....etc. You shouldn't have any issues besides that with the MR1 motors. Oil changes are 20 minutes of work, no need to pay a dealership hundreds.

Yeah, I just googled how to change the oil. Just a matter of getting supplies. Can you get most items at an auto parts store? Or should I go to to my local West Marine/Academy/etc.?

Also what do you think about the gas? I'm not sure how full the tanks are right now...but I doubt they had more than 1/2 a tank when we stored them. Should I siphon out the old gas? Or just put some fuel stabilizer? I'm thinking the first option, just not sure the best way to do it.

Thanks for the response!

+1
    Well the oil filter you would need to buy from a dealership, usually its cheaper to just order online. http://www.surdykeyamaha.com/ ask for Louis, he works in parts department and will hook you up. About the gas its a tough question. Honestly I once bought a boat that sat for close to a year and was never winterized, put fresh gas and it was good to go. Im sure someone else will chime in that has more experience.

Girls just wanna have fun! awarrick's Avatar
    +1
    Hi Jordan- I have an '05 FX HO Cruiser and all we do every winter is fill the tank with gas, put some Stabill in it. Change the oil (and if a girl like me can do it..I'm sure you can! lol..) and we change the plugs every other year or so. I can usually tell if they're fouled. Living in the south like us, we don't really have to worry about hard freezes. Mine sits outside, covered on a Jetdock year-round (unless we take a road trip). I bought mine new too and it's never been to the dealer for any maintenance stuff. I remember calling them a couple years ago and they wanted $100 to change the oil. Forget that noise! Oh, and use Amsoil synthetic...I buy mine online and I get my oil filters (K&N) off Amazon. Invest in an oil removing pump. We have a Mityvac that hooks to an air compressor but there are hand pumps out there too.

Brewmaster Mike
    My dealership wants $200 to change the oil! I let them do the first oil change, but this spring I bought a hand pump Mityvac and am going to give it a shot myself.

+1
    mmayer, 30 minutes and you will be done. Simple simple job.

Brewmaster Mike
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowStang305 View Post
    mmayer, 30 minutes and you will be done. Simple simple job.
    Yeah, it was a piece of cake ...... was able to extract almost 3 quarts, and the oil filter was easier to get at than most cars I have changed oil on. Dealer sold me the wrong filter though.....so I had to make another trip (I hate wasting time like that). Started right up after it's 6 month rest in the garage....need to get it out on Erie soon. Didn't bother with the plugs, I only have about 25 hours on the motor and they wanted $10/plug....it can wait till next year!

Thanks for the replies everyone. Unfortunately I didn't have time to mess with them last weekend and with finals this week I won't get to it until maybe this coming weekend. I did attempt to charge the batteries last weekend, but I made the mistake of not keeping the batteries maintained throughout the Winter, so they are both shot. Which sucks because they were some pricey batteries. Oh well, ain't nobody's fault but mine lol.

+1
    Yeah try to keep them on a tender/maintainer when not in use.

mmayer, you can buy the plugs online, a lot cheaper. I believe these are the ones for the FX series, im trying to remember off the top of my head.

http://www.amazon.com/NGK-CR9EB-Trad.../dp/B001RM8JSK

And for the FZS/FZR I believe its these for $5.60 each free shipping
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000AZ61A

Thread Information