Can I tow a tube? 96 SLTX

So we got a 96 SLTX. Thanks to the great help on here, I was able to locate an owner's manuel, but, it is for a 96 SLT780, not the SLTX. But, hey, got us started learning. The manuel says do not tow with this PWC....uh oh, we planned on towing the grandkids. Will the SLTX not tow? Thanks for any and all advice.

You'll have no problems towing a tube with your SLTX. We have a 96 SLTX also and have spent many hours towing tubes, knee boards, and even tried wake boards. It will have plenty of power for a driver and a spotter plus the tubers. You shouldn't have any problems at all. Oh yeah, my wife just pointed out that it would be best to put the grandkids on a tube before you tow them. LOL She's such a smart ass.

Yes. They have tow hooks just for that reason.

Check your local laws on how many people you can tow. Here in TX, the total number of riders on the ski and towable can not be more than the max capacity of the watercraft. Also, the stock mirrors are not big enough to qualify as tow mirrors so you'd have to have a spotter.....which would mean you could only have one rider on the tube.

Quote Originally Posted by bgaidan View Post
    Yes. They have tow hooks just for that reason.

Check your local laws on how many people you can tow. Here in TX, the total number of riders on the ski and towable can not be more than the max capacity of the watercraft. Also, the stock mirrors are not big enough to qualify as tow mirrors so you'd have to have a spotter.....which would mean you could only have one rider on the tube.

oh dear, not good....I am here in Texas, and I will conform to the laws....wanted to pull like, daughter and grand daughter in the tube.... so can one add mirrors big enough to qualify as tow mirrors? Any suggestions on where to get and how to add?

I'm sure it depends where you are. I've pulled my friends around on the wakeboard with my Genesis (which has tiny mirrors) and have never been hassled.

The state law says that the mirror must be at least 4" in height or width. I believe someone on here has found/adapted a larger towing mirrors to and SLT but I don't remember the details.

Every vessel towing a person(s) on water skis or a similar device must have:

An observer, other than the vessel operator, 13 years of age or older on board or ...
    A rearview mirror. The size of the mirror must be no less than four inches in size from bottom to top and across from side to side. It should be mounted firmly to give the operator a full, complete view beyond the rear of the vessel at all times. Note: Most PWC mirrors do not meet these size standards.

PWCs have rating requirements that must be met when towing people.

A PWC must be rated for at least two people when towing a person on water skis or a similar device.
    If an observer is used, the PWC must be rated for three people—the operator, the observer, and the retrieved skier.

Thread Information