Possible Boost Leak Also some A/F Questions

Hey Guys,

Today I got to spend a good amount of time on my ski, I'm running a Mini Rude, 48's, Fizzle I/C RRFPR so on.

Well my boost gauge spikes way to much and I'm only seeing a max of 10 lbs.

To help figure out the boost leak can I use the stock elbow from the S/C to the intake so I can eliminate the Fizzle I/C or see if thats the issues?

If I remember correctly it started happening after I did install the I/C but i'm not too sure.

What else can I do the find this leak? I know for sure its leaking I just need to find it.

The boost gauge install is good, it never spiked when I installed it so I know its ok.

the other thing is with the 48# injectors I'm only running 43# on my reg. and getting a 13.8 af at idle and 12.8 WOT with a shaking boost gauge at 10 psi.

With that said I hear I should swap to my old 42# injectors from my old X-Charger setup?

As far as the RPM the ski is hitting the rev limiter at 8200 so I know I need to add pitch but before I do I need to get this boost thing fixed and my fuel.

Thanks, Sean

+1
    Sounds like you are on the limiter and the ECU is doing its job. IMO throw the boost gauge in the trash. The SC is gear driven and you have no control over boost.

+1
    To rule out the intercooler being the source of leak you should check:

pipe/coupler/clamp connections are secure
    bolt holes on each side of the intercooler are plugged
    brass fittings in stock intercooler block-off plug are tight, block-off plate is sealed with silicone to the manifold.

If you're running that lean and also on the rev limiter I wouldn't expect to get an accurate boost reading. Your ignition is cutting out on and off at 8200 RPM.

Quote Originally Posted by ultra150nc View Post
    Hey Guys,

Today I got to spend a good amount of time on my ski, I'm running a Mini Rude, 48's, Fizzle I/C RRFPR so on.

Well my boost gauge spikes way to much and I'm only seeing a max of 10 lbs.

To help figure out the boost leak can I use the stock elbow from the S/C to the intake so I can eliminate the Fizzle I/C or see if thats the issues?

If I remember correctly it started happening after I did install the I/C but i'm not too sure.

What else can I do the find this leak? I know for sure its leaking I just need to find it.

The boost gauge install is good, it never spiked when I installed it so I know its ok.

the other thing is with the 48# injectors I'm only running 43# on my reg. and getting a 13.8 af at idle and 12.8 WOT with a shaking boost gauge at 10 psi.

With that said I hear I should swap to my old 42# injectors from my old X-Charger setup?

As far as the RPM the ski is hitting the rev limiter at 8200 so I know I need to add pitch but before I do I need to get this boost thing fixed and my fuel.

Thanks, Sean

+1
    maybe the boost gauge is fluctuating because you are on the rev limiter

The boost gauge does the same spiking at idle too, so I know its a leak some where in the system.

My question is... can I run my ski without the intercooler for 5 mins or so to see if its the I/C and all the piping I have to check or its on the motor.

I know ill have to re tune it for the 5 min run but this way I can tell if its the motor or the I/C like I said I'm only getting 9.5 to 10 psi MAX out of my Mini Rude at 8200.

With the boost gauge spiking at idle 1/2 3/4 and WOT so I know its a leak somewhere in my system just want to pin point the area and work from that point.

what should max boost be on a mini rude?

+1
    not trying to sound dumb, but couldnt you spray pipes and stuff with soapy water and see if it bubbles??? if its leaking it should make the soap bubble. wright??

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by warner0308 View Post
    not trying to sound dumb, but couldnt you spray pipes and stuff with soapy water and see if it bubbles??? if its leaking it should make the soap bubble. wright??
    Thats not a bad idea, also what kind of boost gauge do you have? It shouldn't spike at idle, the s/c isn't making boost then.......maybe you have a bad gauge.....

Quote Originally Posted by warner0308 View Post
    That may just work, I'll be pulling my ski out today from the dock and start digging into it.

Quote Originally Posted by suck my wake View Post
    Thats not a bad idea, also what kind of boost gauge do you have? It shouldn't spike at idle, the s/c isn't making boost then.......maybe you have a bad gauge.....
    I'm running a AutoMeter Ultra Lite

When I say "spiking" its not like its making boost or anything its just moving around at idle and before my Mini Rude and I/C the gauge was always solid and never moved at idle.

So I know for a fact its not the gauge, I've got a leak somewhere in my system.

I'm running 48# injectors and have my regulator set at 38-40# and only getting 9.5-10 psi out of the Mini Rude.

Once I get the boost where it should be ( I'm guessing 13-14 PSI @8180) I can bring my fuel PSI up.

Also another member suggested swapping to my old 42# injectors.

Right now I just want to get full boost then worry about tuning and so on.

Thats why I was asking if I can run my ski without an I/C for 5-10 mins if I watch my A/F. this will allow me to test the ski and see if the boost gauge still shows signs of a leak within the intake/boosted side of the engine I/C.

If it still shows signs of a leak then I know my I/C is ok and its in the motor, plastic intake or something along those lines.

Thread Information