Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bad Stator 2000 Polaris SLX. How to replace it easily?

I have a bad stator on my 2000 Polaris SLX 2000. I put in a new CDI and it fires up now, didnt beforte but when I run her at full speed she dies and gets no spark. If I let her sit overnight and come back the next day she will start up but after running her for a shor time she will just die.

Its intermittent so I have to assume its the stator. I have new one. I bought the upgrade fro the 99 1050 which someone else told me to do iunstead of buying one for the 1200. They and a lot of others said it was near the same and it came with the stator for about $50 more. Anyhoo, after testing all my wiring and noty finding anyting that was way off I just bought the CDI / stator upgrade. She then fired right up but after a short time in the water the fun ended. She just lost all spark and would nto fire up again, leaving me stranded on the water.

So, does anyone have an easy way to replace this stator? I was thiking it would be alot easier if I removed the gaas tank and oil tank and went from that direction verse pulling the engine. Its not easy to get to one of the engine mounts or a couple bolts on the exchnage chamber. This engine is reaslly tight in the hull. I really prefer any simple alternative to pulling the engine.

HELP

Banned User
    +1
    There is no simple alternative. The gas tank will not come out through the hood. Its not difficult to get the pipe out of the ski. A 19mm box wrench will get the 2 pipe bolts closest to the hull side. Get the pipe out, remove the carbs and all four mount bolts are accessible. I had my pro taken apart this far over the winter. Its not difficult at all. The flywheels can be a real pain, and having the motor on the bench makes it much easier. The stator bolts can also be difficult. It will be much less pain and frustration if you pull the motor. I bet I could have the motor out of my pro in an hour. Its really not that difficult.

Thanks bro. Ill do it tomorrow and report back.

+1
    i usaully leave the motor in the hull and just tip it up so your looking right at the front cover and you don't have to lift the motor out that way

Puts motor oil on his pancakes Hockeydude's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by heebeha View Post
    I bought the upgrade fro the 99 1050
    Where did you find one? I sold my '99 SLX with the bad stator to the dealership and bought a different ski because I couldn't find an upgrade kit anywhere last fall.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Hockeydude View Post
    Where did you find one? I sold my '99 SLX with the bad stator to the dealership and bought a different ski because I couldn't find an upgrade kit anywhere last fall.
    polaris did another run of them but there all almost gone again

Tilt the motor up?
    I have a 1200 3cyl. There isnt room in there to lay a fart. You sure its possible to tilt it up?

Puts motor oil on his pancakes Hockeydude's Avatar
    Thanks, but too late. Already replaced the ski last fall. I had no idea of the issue until it started to go bad last summer. And when no parts were available I completely lost faith in Polaris. Even though I never had a single prior issue with the the ski other than a loose ground wire once. I just couldn't keep something that was supported so poorly by the manufacturer. Oh well, somewhere there is a mint '99 SLX with 120hrs only in need of a stator.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by heebeha View Post
    Tilt the motor up?
    I have a 1200 3cyl. There isnt room in there to lay a fart. You sure its possible to tilt it up?

you have to still remove the pipe and maybe the carbs but after that it will tip up and it's alot easier leaving it in the hull in my opinion

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information