Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Yamaha FZS 2010 Rear Hull Cracking

Hola, new member here. I thought I would tell you about my ski problem. I recently was skiing at Straddie and noticed the power was down abit on the surf. Headed back to the ramp to find the back of my hull completely cracked. So big you could put your hand through it.I did not ride the ski any other way than I normally did so I was puzzled why this had happend I purchased the ski 12months earlier from a ski shop in Caloundra. It only had 55 hours on it. I called the shop where I bought it to see what the deal was. I was told that Yamaha is having this problem the world over only on the supercharged models. Apparently when the engine revs it twists in the hull and is cracking the back of all the FZ models. Yamaha are completely aware that this is happening. They sent me an email asking what outcome I would like. I replied that I would either like a new fz ski to replace mine with the rear of the ski reinforced before delivery or a complete refund of my $22,000 dollars that we had to pay in Australia. There response was they will repair my ski. 3 months later I still have no ski which I am still paying weekly payments on. I am disgusted with Yamaha actions regarding these FZ problems and contemplating a class action against them.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	256.jpg 
Views:	1016 
Size:	75.7 KB 
ID:	270314

+1
    Very interesting. Last year I compiled a photo album on my computer of all the cracked FZ/SHOs I could find on the forum (with the exception of damaged caused by collision) and all the damage is in the same spot as you. I look forward to reading more.

edit: I'm not affirming or disagreeing with the OP
    Last edited by mikeFZR; 04-30-2012 at 10:37 PM.

I am asuming when you bought the Ski you gave it a good look over and no Cracks?

- How many hours have you put on it?
    - How / where do you ride the ski?

The crack is all the way aft and the Motor Mounts are essentially "mid ship"; I am having a hard time trying to visualize the correlation of engine twist and a crack that far away from the engine. But no doubt there was definitley some type of severe trauma that caused that. That's a problem.

+1
    we have some highly moded fzs's that i ride with and i have not seen any cracks from having to much power
    i have seen the pump tunel crack on one
    i can only guess that you were jumping waves at staddie and are lucky if yamaha are warrentying the ski
    the time frame is a dealer issue not a yamaha issue

+1
    Is this ski placed on caloundra road in front of north coast saying fraigle on it?

i ve crack my 2011 vxr and a mate has crack his 2009 fzr ,alot of big surf jumping has cause it .

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Murphnfbs View Post
    Apparently when the engine revs it twists in the hull and is cracking the back of all the FZ models.
    The statement about the engine twisting and cracking all FZ models is just...
    If that were true every FZ on the forum would look like yours.

That said, we have seen a few claiming to have cracked hulls here and it does happen.
    Sea-Doos have been known to delaminate from time to time and get cracked tunnels too.

It looks like you jumped some big Australian waves on it in the "surf" or maybe ratcheting down too much on a trailer; not saying that's what happened but that's what it looks like; at any rate I certainly hope you get it sorted out. Please see no. 6 on my list about jumping these heavy 4 strokes here:
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=93951

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by YoYamma View Post
    ...maybe ratcheting down too much on a trailer;...
    That was my thought exactly when I saw the location and orientation of the split.

+1
    Maybe Yamaha should have never gone to nanoXell? I have worked on both my 2006 FX-HO's and my 2009 FZS and 2011 VXR and can tell you the material on these newer skies is much thinner specially on the back of the hull where I have drilled both models for rear exhaust installation the nanooXell is a good 1/8" thinner and fragile, Julio...

+1
    It is always good to remember that there are a lot of FZs out there--many not on greenhulk. So a few instances of hulls cracking is not paramount to the entire model line being defective. Every brand of skis: Yami, Seadoo, and Kawi will always have hulls crack here and there. No reason to jump to conclusions. Just my opinion

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information