Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: SBT Short Block

SBT Short Block

I have a 96 GSX, motor is shot everything else in reasonable condition, thinking about a SBT short block.
    Reluctant to spend the cash, i need a nudge one way or another. Anyone have any advice.
    Thanks for any input

+1
    How much are you thinking about dropping on this ski? Honestly, the old GSXs aren't worth much any more. Look at cutting your losses and stepping up to a newer ski, maybe.

ditto

+1
    Yup or pick up a used junk ski with a good 787 and swap. Cheapest Ive seen used oem 787s go for is around 500-600, better choice then a rebuilt sbt....imo

Thanks Guy's, i will admit i wasn't looking forward to spending more money on this boat.
    Thanks for input

SBT 787 will be just fine for your rec needs. I have one in my SPX and it's been trouble free thus far. IMHO, you're better off spending money on a rebuilt, known quantity than a "good, used motor". There's a lot of ignorant SBT hate around here.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ZuminaZX View Post
    SBT 787 will be just fine for your rec needs. I have one in my SPX and it's been trouble free thus far. IMHO, you're better off spending money on a rebuilt, known quantity than a "good, used motor". There's a lot of ignorant SBT hate around here.
    I don't think there was any "ignorant SBT hate" in this thread. The premise was whether or not to drop the cash on an older, ski, and I think he got some good advice. I do agree with you as far as buying a "good used motor", though. I've seen people do some pretty sorry things to unload a motor.

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    I don't think there was any "ignorant SBT hate" in this thread. The premise was whether or not to drop the cash on an older, ski, and I think he got some good advice. I do agree with you as far as buying a "good used motor", though. I've seen people do some pretty sorry things to unload a motor.
    Either way, this would mainly be to keep my kids off the grandparents new sea-doo. Also I do
    kind of enjoy working on these things.

+1
    When you say the motor is shot, what do you mean? Did it throw a rod? If not you may want to rebuild it yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    When you say the motor is shot, what do you mean? Did it throw a rod? If not you may want to rebuild it yourself.
    A circlip that holds the wrist pin came out and caused a lot of damage (rotor shaft gear, rotor valve plate and rotor valve surfaces on the cases).
    It looks like all thats usable is the crank, and maybe the cases that are some what grooved out but may be ok.

I will say this was my screw up because last year i took 2 old engines and tried to make 1 decent engine. Evidently i got a little
    careless when i installed the circlips but it ran good for about 3 hours.

Thanks for the input its all helpfull

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information