Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

2000 gp1200r not getting enough fuel?

I'm pretty new to the site but got some good advice on a seadoo so I want to try my luck on this. My dad purchased this ski from a friend a few years back with a blown motor. Not sure of the actual damage or cause but I know he replaced it with a complete replacement motor. Since the replacement here is the issue. The ski starts and runs fine at low speeds, once you hold it at wot it runs about 67 mph for a few seconds then falls on its face. After a few seconds at low speed it gets back to 67 again. Seems like its starving for fuel. It had no issues before the motor blew and everything was replaced exactly the same. We went through the fuel system from the tank to the carbs, including the shut-off and filter and found no restrictions. Everything is stock. Please help. Thanks

+1
    Check the cat. converter dont be riding it to you find the problem. we need some more info on the ski like does it have stock air box or T handles on carbs.

How is your compression?

I'd pull the head and make sure you are not experiencing seizures. You may be doing significant damage by continuing to ride it.

you said you went through the fuel system, but have you ever done the carbs?

Carbs were disassembled and cleaned but never rebuilt. Haven't checked compression but the engine is brand new, has about 2 hrs on it, I haven't checked the cat. Didn't even know about them till this site. Where is the cat located and what should I look for? Other than the new motor the ski is completely stock

+1
    If you look at the big black pipe that curves around to the right side of the ski just over the carbs. and to the rear of the rubber boot with 2 big clamps the cat-con. is in that part of the exhaust pipe.

ok. that wont be a problem because we have the exhaust and carbs off now. what shouls i look for? physically broken or some kind of build-up

+1
    Look for broken and missing pieces. If you see a big piece missing it could be lodged in your exhaust system somewhere causing a restriction in the flow of exhaust. And will need to be removed and replaced with a D plate and chip.

What chip would I need to get with the d plate

Well I ran out to the barn after work and tore the exhaust apart and sure enough the cat is destroyed. The big section of it was a little further down in the Pipe. Obviously this is a problem but do you think it would cause my "fuel loss" problem? Is it possible that it was creating too much back pressure at high rpms?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information