98 1100 ZXI vibration

I recently picked up a 98 Kawasaki 1100 zxi that has a very pronounced vibration on or of the trailer. It starts around 1800 RPM and smoothes around 3000. It really takes of with tons of pulling power and revs up to 7500 smoothly. I've tried plugs, new gas with seafoam additive, compression test (120 psi all 3) carb clean down each carb at vibration rpm and no change. I grabbed the pto shaft to check for play and no movement what so ever. The oil injection pump is still active and no strange leaks or sounds. What could it be?

+1
    Try unscrewing the rubber boots from the ends of the spark plug wires, then see if you can pull out wire strands with needle nose pliers. It's pretty common for the strands to break from vibration and it really makes it run weird. If you find broken wires, cut the wires back about 1/2" and re-install the rubber boots.

SeaFoam works pretty well, but the engine won't run very well when it's in the fuel.

Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    Try unscrewing the rubber boots from the ends of the spark plug wires, then see if you can pull out wire strands with needle nose pliers. It's pretty common for the strands to break from vibration and it really makes it run weird. If you find broken wires, cut the wires back about 1/2" and re-install the rubber boots.

SeaFoam works pretty well, but the engine won't run very well when it's in the fuel.
    Thanks Steve and yes I tried that when I first took it out and had an intermittent miss. I did find the wire on cyl 1 was not exposed at all and trimmed back the insulation to re terminate the end. All better on that symptom. This vibration feels like an imbalance of an internal part of the engine. Except that it goes away and does not affect take-off power or top speed.

Ever find out what this was, mine does the same thing....I even de-coupled mine from the pump and its still there. I'm beginning to wonder if its because I changed my flywheel .....

Thread Information