Banned User
    +1

Need some help installing some parts

Recently acquired a r&d island racing mod 4 plate for a 2001 gp1200r.. Can someone give some links or video links on how to go about grinding down pump and how to shim plate.Would I gain any speed if I just bolt on and not shim it?

Banned User
    +1

awesome plate BTW!
    you would probably gain some speed, but it`s hard to tell just how high (up) into the hull the plate sits bc the mounting boss`s are machined to allow shimming for best desired performance...
    There is a desired position that these plates work best. on the side upswept wings of the plate you could try for .020 where it meets the shoe, and see where you wind up across the horizontal part of the plate. It`s common to see 1/8+ reveal there...

look here at post number 33 for some pictures...>>> http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=112931
    also there is other plate related info there.

zoom in on the pics in here for a look at how this plates margins/reveal are...>>> http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=138371

when your shimming the plate, use stainless fender washers or shims that are atleast 3/4-1" in OD so you spread the load over the hull material when tightening. remember bolt torque is low, so don`t kill them and recess the washer or shims into the hull...
    Some riders have used body mount type shims, the ones that are shaped like a U, makes adjusting/testing easier.
    personally I measure whats needed to get what I want and I usually make my own shims...
    a digital caliper like the one found at Lowe`s is usefull when measuring shims and plate angle...
    try not to use generic hardware store washers as they are not all the same thickness...

Banned User
    +1
    Is there someone that will machine the pump if I send it out along with the plate. I'm I only shimming the two bolts where the shoe meets plate? Other two stay stock correct?

Thanks pale for all the help man!

Quote Originally Posted by thatdude596 View Post
    Is there someone that will machine the pump if I send it out along with the plate. I'm I only shimming the two bolts where the shoe meets plate? Other two stay stock correct?

Thanks pale for all the help man!
    haha anytime my friend, no worries!

sure, Island or Jims can handle that, maybe even WFO, you`d have to ask him, I`m not sure...
    you wouldn`t need to send the mod 4 plate, just the pump & exit nozzle

can`t say for sure, but I would bet that all 4 mountings will require a shim to get the plate correct.
    There are variations from hull to hull and I really don`t know how much was machined off that plate to give you details on what exactly to do...

but read some of those threads and you`ll get the idea and understand what is what and why...

+1
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	374321_10150523025914484_165299329483_8449293_1354376290_n.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	110.5 KB 
ID:	270555   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	400288_10150523026144484_165299329483_8449296_719257819_n.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	82.9 KB 
ID:	270556  

Banned User
    +1
    Can you guys tell me how much approx you take off each part? Better yet is there a specific angle? I have a grinder and angle finder. I think I can do the grinding part myself, still reading on how to shim. If I shim the swept wings by the pump approx .20 and shim the rear of the plate to get it approx .95 off the hull I should be close correct?

Quote Originally Posted by thatdude596 View Post
    Can you guys tell me how much approx you take off each part? Better yet is there a specific angle? I have a grinder and angle finder. I think I can do the grinding part myself, still reading on how to shim. If I shim the swept wings by the pump approx .20 and shim the rear of the plate to get it approx .95 off the hull I should be close correct?
    I wouldn`t assume that .950 is the magic number for your ski.
    when you get done clearancing the pump/nozzle, bolt up the plate and see where your at, take measurement and notes, adjust the plate to sit flat (no rocking or twisting) with the required reveal at the shoe, just don`t have it hanging below, and go for a ride and test!
    there is a point where a higher plate angle is to much, find the sweet spot with testing...

now you could develop a bounce, which also has to be addressed with reducing the plate or shimming the trim tabs...
    setting up a hull is tedious work, just have patience and test, retest, and test again... Good luck!

WFO, is that a Makita?...lol...

Banned User
    +1
    Can you tell me the easiest way to get a degree of an angle so I can grind down pump and noZZLE? I'm talking about the angle of the pump/ nozzle btw. Or is is flat? Hard to see from pics

+1
    I know you want to be careful grinding but I think you're over complicating it. You're just shaving away some material on the pump so it's not touching the plate. Trial & error. Mount it up, check, grind, repeat if you're really worried.

Thread Information