+1

Solas DF 15/22 vs DF 14/21

According to Solas, this is what they claim to be the difference regading the two different base pitches...

"Solas Impeller Ys-df 14/21 Part #:YS-DF-14/21 and Ys-df 15/22 Part #:YS-DF-15/22 Blade geometry designed specifically for high compression ratio jet-pump systems. Improve acceleration and top end while eliminating performance holes. Available in two pitch angles: lower pitch angle is recommended for stock motors; higher pitch angle is recommended for modified motors; lower pitch angle can also be used with modified motors if improved acceleration is desired."

I've searched the board and can't seem to find a direct comparison between the two props relative to mph and rpm. My question is basically this...from experience, what have you guys seen regarding speed differences between the two props. I think I may be leaving speed on the table since I'm currently running the 14/21 pitched to a 14/24 instead of running the 15/22 pitched to a 15/25.

As always, thank you in advance for any input and help.

***I also have this topic posted in the Yamaha 4-stroke section in effort to target anyone who may be familiar with these. Thanks.

+1
    The 22 is a different casting and has a steeper root pitch by the hub regardless of the outside diameter pitch. You can pitch the OD to the exact same as each othe but the 22 casting will always act taller. I've seen both props side by side.

Make sense?

+1
    Yes...thanks for the response.
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    The 22 is a different casting and has a steeper root pitch by the hub regardless of the outside diameter pitch. You can pitch the OD to the exact same as each othe but the 22 casting will always act taller. I've seen both props side by side.

Make sense?

+1
    If you have the power to push it, the taller casting repitched will produce a little more speed at the same OD pitch. Its also about pitching to the power of the motor.

There are also different custom props with even taller root pitches that may increase speed as long as your rpm doesn't drop and your tuner knows what he is doing to keep the 4stroke in its power curve.

+1
    Thanks again for the information. Seems like anything else.... it's basically a matter of testing to see what the ski likes. Just trying to avoid buying 12 different props in effort to find additional speed. lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    If you have the power to push it, the taller casting repitched will produce a little more speed at the same OD pitch. Its also about pitching to the power of the motor.

There are also different custom props with even taller root pitches that may increase speed as long as your rpm doesn't drop and your tuner knows what he is doing to keep the 4stroke in its power curve.

+1
    welcome to the world of R&D

it's basically a matter of testing to see what the ski likes. Just trying to avoid buying 12 different props in effort to find additional speed.

+1
    Yeah....I know. Basically thats my life, R&D with any and everything I own. lol I rarely settle on a setup and am always looking for something to make it better, regardless of what it may be. On the same token...sometimes you'll never know til you try it and not every ski (or whatever) likes the same changes, as I'm sure you know .
    Quote Originally Posted by WFO View Post
    welcome to the world of R&D

speaking of these props which might be a good starting point for a fx ho motor in an xlt1200 hull with the 05+ ho pump? the 14/21 seems to be the upgrade prop for the fx ho that is offered in the riva rpm kit. but.... others have even put the lower hp vx motor in a gpr ull and had to go with the 15/22 and are still spinning the prop. can anyone shed some knowledge on this. would like to get a prop that is close to what i need a repitch after purchase is ok but really can afford to go buying different props. my setup is fx ho motor in xlt1200 hull, riva intake grate, ho pump and no spacer, gpr exit nozzle and fx aluminum steering nozzle.

Thread Information