05-01-2012, 01:15 AM #1
A few simple things I recommend for the 2012 RXPX
I get really upset by the amount of salt water that ends up on my engine after riding in the surf and jumping waves so I did 2 simple and cheap mods that have kept my engine bay much dryer.
1) Problem: Seat takes on water easily and has draining holes in the bottom that drain directly onto the top of the engine.
Solution: I plugged the holes with bathroom and kitchen silicone and then applied a layer of high strength marine sikaflex over the top to create a permanent water tight seal. No water comes though anymore, seat still gets wet and heavy but drains out the corners fine.
Side note: Tiny had an upholsterer take the cover off his and cover the foam inside in plastic. This is probably a better fix but much more expensive unless you can do it yourself.
05-01-2012, 01:26 AM #2
2) Problem: Water comes through the vents either side of the handlebars and also the gap behind the little storage box, both drain down the top hull and into the engine bay. (Around 80% of the water runs off the sides into the footwells but the other 20% runs onto the front of the engine.)
Solution: Two simple water channels created with lines of doubled up bathroom and kitchen silicone under the little storage box. now less than 1% of the water finds its way to the engine bay and you can't see a thing when the seat is on. I thoroughly recommend this one, I did a messy job of it but you could probably make it look cool and stock.
Side note: use a normal silicone, I could get all this off on minutes if I needed to
05-01-2012, 05:05 AM #3
- Join Date
- May 2007
- Minneapolis MN
I can't figure out why Sea-Doo didn't wrap the foam in plastic at the factory. I don't take that much water over the bow and my seat takes on a surprising amount of water. I would imagine that covering the vent holes in the seat will make it firmer since the air can't escape as fast when the foam is compressed.
05-01-2012, 06:49 AM #4
Sea Doo has had this problem for years, you are better off installing a seat cover and a layer of plastic between the old and new. The seat will always be heavy and smell over time.
05-01-2012, 07:48 PM #5
seat isn't noticeably harder. Drains easily if you leave it propped up vertically with the plastic corners on the ground
05-01-2012, 08:52 PM #6
I paid 75 for the factory cover removal, wrapping the foam in plastic and installing the new cover...Well worth its weight in gold!!!! Haha!!!!!
My seat will never be heavy, smell or drip water onto the engine!!!!! I have always done it to all my seats!!!!
05-01-2012, 09:41 PM #7
But seat covers go for $300+ then plus delivery and then plus $75 at the upholsterers so most people are going to be looking at over $400 for all that.
My fix cost under $20. And I maintain that if you leave your seat propped upside down vertically against a wall it will dry out 99% within 24 hours and neither of my seats ( same on my 08 ) have ever stunk doing it this way.
I'll probably end up doing the Tiny (proper) way eventually when I can afford a seat cover just for the extra grip but for now this $20 fix works perfectly.
Users Browsing this Thread
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)