+1

Solas DF 15/22 vs DF 14/21

According to Solas, this is what they claim to be the difference regading the two different base pitches...

"Solas Impeller Ys-df 14/21 Part #:YS-DF-14/21 and Ys-df 15/22 Part #:YS-DF-15/22 Blade geometry designed specifically for high compression ratio jet-pump systems. Improve acceleration and top end while eliminating performance holes. Available in two pitch angles: lower pitch angle is recommended for stock motors; higher pitch angle is recommended for modified motors; lower pitch angle can also be used with modified motors if improved acceleration is desired."

I've searched the board and can't seem to find a direct comparison between the two props relative to mph and rpm. My question is basically this...from experience, what have you guys seen regarding speed differences between the two props. I think I may be leaving speed on the table since I'm currently running the 14/21 pitched to a 14/24 instead of running the 15/22 pitched to a 15/25.

As always, thank you in advance for any input and help.

***I also have this topic posted in the conversion performance section in effort to target anyone who may be familiar with these. Thanks.

+1
    These two props have a totaly different root angle between the two of them. They come from seperate castings The 15/22 has a much taller root angle to it. They are not the same casting with just different pitches done to them, Tommy Jordan

+1
    Thanks Tommy...thats what I was after as well as wondering if there is speed benefits by going to the 15/22 with the taller root angle. My ski is a GPSHO and has been 96mph in literally perfect conditions. That was spinning the 14/21 casting thats pitched to a 14/24 from Dave at Impros at 8540rpm. It was a low humidity day and cool. In real world conditions here, meaning heat and humidity, I spin it roughly 8400. I was wondering if getting the 15/22 pitched to a 15/25 would yeild more speed to justify buying it and trying. Thanks again.

THE PLATE MAN JIM'S PERFORMANCE's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by ksalles View Post
    Thanks Tommy...thats what I was after as well as wondering if there is speed benefits by going to the 15/22 with the taller root angle. My ski is a GPSHO and has been 96mph in literally perfect conditions. That was spinning the 14/21 casting thats pitched to a 14/24 from Dave at Impros at 8540rpm. It was a low humidity day and cool. In real world conditions here, meaning heat and humidity, I spin it roughly 8400. I was wondering if getting the 15/22 pitched to a 15/25 would yeild more speed to justify buying it and trying. Thanks again.
    Hello Ksalles, you will not be able to pitch to a 25 it will kill your rpm the root angle is that extreme. When i had that impeller on my conversion with the E1 wheel i pitched it to a true 13/21 with a 87mm nozzle and it was spinning at 8560 rpm at 95.5 mph.

+1
    Thank you Jim. As I had mentioned, I had Dave at Impros pitch my prop and I believe it's a true 14/24. I have the 14/21 casting. To be quite honest, I'm not that familiar with prop pitch, root angle, etc. I'm looking to get some more rpms and hopefully some additional speed. I'm considering trying to send it back and have it pitched again in effort to do so if it could possibly help. In the heat and humidity, the ski just isn't pulling the rpms I would like and I've always wondered if it's possibly the prop. The ski runs really well, but I think it has potential to go faster with the prop tweaked. Thanks again for the response and any suggestions you may have.
    On a side note, I searched some of your older posts relative to trim tab shims to plate angle. So far, I'm really liking the way the ski runs getting it to ride more on your ff plate instead of dragging so much on the tabs.
    Quote Originally Posted by JIM'S PERFORMANCE View Post
    Hello Ksalles, you will not be able to pitch to a 25 it will kill your rpm the root angle is that extreme. When i had that impeller on my conversion with the E1 wheel i pitched it to a true 13/21 with a 87mm nozzle and it was spinning at 8560 rpm at 95.5 mph.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 2fast4u View Post
    These two props have a totaly different root angle between the two of them. They come from seperate castings The 15/22 has a much taller root angle to it. They are not the same casting with just different pitches done to them, Tommy Jordan
    Quote Originally Posted by JIM'S PERFORMANCE View Post
    +2
    The root on the 15/22 is REALLY tall. I've haven't played with it in awhile but I loaned it out to Tommy & 305coco who both tested it on ET low boost FZ's. I don't remember what Tommy spun it to but I think coco wasn't able to get it over 8100. Even with your high boost wheel it will probably be necessary to take pitch out if you want to get 85-8600. The first time I tested that prop(with stock ECU & C1) I didn't realize how tall it was & started with a 81mm ring. It actually made the big 1800 motor bog down in the midrange...felt like a stock 1200 GPR trying to turn a boat prop.

Thread Information