Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Need someone to build me a custom gas can holder

I need someone to build me a custom aluminum gas can holder for my RXP. My 1300 mile Lake Superior trip will require me to bring extra fuel.

Requirements:

It will need to fasten on to the three eye bolts on the hull without touching the rear deck. It needs to fasten on with out any rattling around.

It needs to hold three VP racing cans (Square)

It needs some sort of a shelf above the cans to be able to strap multiple wetbags on to the shelf.

Does anyone FAB aluminum that could take on this job?

Also, any suggestions on modifications to my design to make it more functional are appreciated.

three full cans back there will prolly put the rear deck under water while not on plane....

+1
    Another idea whould be to build a second tank in the nose of the ski where the bucket is currently with a 1/4 turn valve so as you burned off lets say 10 gallons you just come to an idle and twist the valve and dumps into the main Rxp tank with out having to lift gas cans. Also It would suck if a gas can fell off the back and poluted the lake. I bet with the size of the area in the nose you could have a 10 to 15 gallon tank made. Another thing this would also give you room on the rear of the ski for your dry bags. Just a thought

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff C View Post
    I need someone to build me a custom aluminum gas can holder for my RXP. My 1300 mile Lake Superior trip will require me to bring extra fuel.

Requirements:

It will need to fasten on to the three eye bolts on the hull without touching the rear deck. It needs to fasten on with out any rattling around.

It needs to hold three VP racing cans (Square)

It needs some sort of a shelf above the cans to be able to strap multiple wetbags on to the shelf.

Does anyone FAB aluminum that could take on this job?

Also, any suggestions on modifications to my design to make it more functional are appreciated.

If you make a blueprint I can fab it up for ya. I really dont do anything at work anyways, this would be a good time killer. But I like the front mount gas tank idea a whole lot better. Figure out some dimensions in the front cabin and get yourself a custom made plastic gas tank, just make sure its removable.

Mike:

I really do not have any blue prints of it, but I want it to hook to the lower two eye bolts and then to the top eye bolt under the grab bar. The rack would only touch the ski at these three points. Then some sort of gas can bay to securely hold the cans in place, then some sort of a rack just above that I could put on some wet bags.

I don't want to do the integrated front tank, as I want to use that area for storing gear

V-Tec, 4-Tech that's how I roll meirvin's Avatar
    +1
    if you got a hundred miles to the tank you would still be short your goning to have to makes fuel stops.

Quote Originally Posted by meirvin View Post
    if you got a hundred miles to the tank you would still be short your goning to have to makes fuel stops.

There are two stretches of the route we are concerned about. Each of which is about 160 miles.

The rest of the fuel stops are 40-80 range.

What we have encountered is waves and sea conditions that only allow you to run just under plane. That gobbles up huge quantities of fuel.

I am hopeful that I will not even have to use the reserve tanks more than once or twice.

But you need to plan for the worst case scenario, and take "running out of gas" out of the mix of potential items that could make for a long day or dangerous situation.

+1
    big waves and you want the gas on the out side of the ski YOUR INSANE build a tank up front so the fuel is secure and put you gear in dry bags on the gear of the ski.

Wasnt there some thing that you could tow behind the ski to put gear in?????? I think it looked like a capsole or something.

+1
    This is what you need. http://www.hydrotrailer.com/

· 11 Cubic Feet of watertight internal storage
    · Patented "double groove hull" guarantees perfect stability and tracking. Carries up to 200 lbs safely and effortlessly
    · Lightweight - The Hydro Trailer is only 75 lbs gross weight (empty)
    · Carries two 5 gallon gas containers in their own secure hold (included)
    · Three durable velcro hydro-straps allow you to strap large items, such as skis, chairs, or tents, atop the Hydro Trailer
    · Neoprene "bra" helps keep out pressurized rooster tail water
    · Easy to install sturdy stainless steel hitch system with rigid tow-bar that provides complete ease of operation and trailer stability
    · The Hydrorack bolts to most watercraft trailers for hassle-free, easy transport and storage. Attractive nylon Hydrocover will protect your Hydrotrailer for many seasons to come.
    Last edited by 800AMSOIL4U; 01-18-2007 at 04:40 PM.

+1
    yep thats it.... that would be the best safest way to go

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information