Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    +1

How to Setup Trailer

I have a double trailer with two FZR's on it. After I wash my engine bay and need to tilt the ski backwards it takes at least two persons to lift the trailer and still it's heavy as hell.

My friend has two RXT-X's on his double trailer and one person can easily tilt his trailer backwards. I highly doubt that the FZR's weight more than the RXT's but more the way the trailer is setup. What are some tricks in setting up a trailer so I don't have to break my back every weekend lifting this whale of a trailer. Both skis fit exactly on the bunks.

Should I move back the winch a little and let the skis hang off a little so more weight is distributed to the back ?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Waterholics View Post
    I have a double trailer with two FZR's on it. After I wash my engine bay and need to tilt the ski backwards it takes at least two persons to lift the trailer and still it's heavy as hell.

My friend has two RXT-X's on his double trailer and one person can easily tilt his trailer backwards. I highly doubt that the FZR's weight more than the RXT's but more the way the trailer is setup. What are some tricks in setting up a trailer so I don't have to break my back every weekend lifting this whale of a trailer. Both skis fit exactly on the bunks.

Should I move back the winch a little and let the skis hang off a little so more weight is distributed to the back ?
    Yes just slide the winches back a little at a time to not shift the weight too far. It is fine to have some ski hanging off the back.

+1
    +1 You don't want any more that about 150 to 200 lbs of tounge weight on your trailer ball,

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by lasportsmn View Post
    Yes just slide the winches back a little at a time to not shift the weight too far. It is fine to have some ski hanging off the back.
    Quote Originally Posted by skigolfnut View Post
    +1 You don't want any more that about 150 to 200 lbs of tounge weight on your trailer ball,
    Thanks guys. I'll also see if I cud try and slide the bunks backwards as well. Also is it problem if I'm towing the skis and the whole trailer is just bouncing. My other trailers never used to do this but my current setup just bounces around whole time while we're towing.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Waterholics View Post
    Thanks guys. I'll also see if I cud try and slide the bunks backwards as well. Also is it problem if I'm towing the skis and the whole trailer is just bouncing. My other trailers never used to do this but my current setup just bounces around whole time while we're towing.
    You dont want the trailer bouncing around when towing. This is caused when there is too much or too little tongue weight. Once you set the trailer up right I bet it goes away... same thing happened with my friends FZ on this trailer.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeFZR View Post
    You dont want the trailer bouncing around when towing. This is caused when there is too much or too little tongue weight. Once you set the trailer up right I bet it goes away... same thing happened with my friends FZ on this trailer.
    +1 The trailer will tell you when it is set up properly. All your concerns will go away.

+1
    you should try to adjust so that 10% of the trailer weight is on the ball. 2500lb trailer loaded should be 250lb tongue weight

+1
    Instead of farting around with all of that, try moving the axle forward. That will be the easiest and best way to shift weight. The idea is to have as much surface area touching the bunks as possible to distribute weight evenly. If you keep kicking the ski back, more and more weight will be put on the rear of the bunks and that could lead to cracking them. Also with the ski that far back, it will have a tendancy to rock as the balancing point on the ski has changed and the new pivot point is on the end of the bunk so the nose will bob up and down as you travel down the road and that could lead to unneccessary stress on the nose of the craft, rear of the bunks and also the area of the hull that rests on the end of the bunks as that will be the pivot point and a higher stressed area due to constant weight shifts. You could move everything back to maintain proper seating and weight distribution but you also make the total length of your rig longer which can affect handling, air flow and fuel mileage.

I had the same issue with mine when it was new and what I did was make small adjustments to the axle location each time I launched until I was happy with the overall feel of the trailer. As of now, I have a pair of FZR's that tow very well with no bounce or sway, have maximum bunk suface area touching the hull, shortest towing length possible and can be picked up and propped up for draining and cleaning purposes with one person. It took me about 4-5 adjustments but I got it where I wanted it. Just make sure to pick a point on the trailer that are even on both sides to measure off of so you get the axle even on both sides otherwise you could run into sway and wheel scrubbing which leads to added heat in the tires, increased drag, bearing stress and a possible tire failure at high speeds over longer distances.

hey Water,

I have a single FZR and pulling it with an Altima so getting it balanced right will only help with headaches down the road. Here is the thread I posted with pictures the way it was setup from the dealer. You will notice that it is sitting WAY forward in the pics and it was suggested that I move the ski backwards till the Z in FZR is over the wheels. Now since this post I have made the move backwards about a foot and while my ski hangs over this trailer (plan on getting a newer longer trailer soon) it is actually more stable and requires very little effort to lift at the toungue. Ill try to get newer pics up of the new adjustments later this week. Hope this helps bro. http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=173862

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jetpilot785 View Post
    Instead of farting around with all of that, try moving the axle forward. That will be the easiest and best way to shift weight. The idea is to have as much surface area touching the bunks as possible to distribute weight evenly. If you keep kicking the ski back, more and more weight will be put on the rear of the bunks and that could lead to cracking them. Also with the ski that far back, it will have a tendancy to rock as the balancing point on the ski has changed and the new pivot point is on the end of the bunk so the nose will bob up and down as you travel down the road and that could lead to unneccessary stress on the nose of the craft, rear of the bunks and also the area of the hull that rests on the end of the bunks as that will be the pivot point and a higher stressed area due to constant weight shifts. You could move everything back to maintain proper seating and weight distribution but you also make the total length of your rig longer which can affect handling, air flow and fuel mileage.

I had the same issue with mine when it was new and what I did was make small adjustments to the axle location each time I launched until I was happy with the overall feel of the trailer. As of now, I have a pair of FZR's that tow very well with no bounce or sway, have maximum bunk suface area touching the hull, shortest towing length possible and can be picked up and propped up for draining and cleaning purposes with one person. It took me about 4-5 adjustments but I got it where I wanted it. Just make sure to pick a point on the trailer that are even on both sides to measure off of so you get the axle even on both sides otherwise you could run into sway and wheel scrubbing which leads to added heat in the tires, increased drag, bearing stress and a possible tire failure at high speeds over longer distances.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeFZR View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by lasportsmn View Post
    +1 The trailer will tell you when it is set up properly. All your concerns will go away.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanyel1970 View Post
    hey Water,

I have a single FZR and pulling it with an Altima so getting it balanced right will only help with headaches down the road. Here is the thread I posted with pictures the way it was setup from the dealer. You will notice that it is sitting WAY forward in the pics and it was suggested that I move the ski backwards till the Z in FZR is over the wheels. Now since this post I have made the move backwards about a foot and while my ski hangs over this trailer (plan on getting a newer longer trailer soon) it is actually more stable and requires very little effort to lift at the toungue. Ill try to get newer pics up of the new adjustments later this week. Hope this helps bro. http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=173862
    Thanks for all the tips guys. I will try both. I will let my ski hang off just a little and try to move to axle forward. I just got so tired of lifting up those two heavy skis every Sunday. LOL.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information