new to me 2004 Honda R-12 reverse cable???

Hi guys, I just picked up a 2004 Honda R-12 non turbo. It only had 32 hours on the meter?? However the guy did not take care of it like I would have. A few questions. First the reverse handle will not move (yes I did push in the button) The guy told me he never used reverse so I am assuming the cable is corroded. If it is the cable where is the best place to get one? Anyone else seen this? Also I smell a little odor of gas near the front of the engine, is there something I should look for such as a common problem. Also I noticed when pulling the ski home in a heavy rain the footwellls were completely full of water, this does not seem good Thanks in advance for any and all help guys. Mike

+1
    There are threads to be found on here and PWCTODAY.COM in the Honda forums about the easy fix for the swelled bushing in the reverse bendix arm. Use the SEARCH featur to find them and a whole lot of other things you need to know in order to be a happy Honda owner....

Quote Originally Posted by JRINJAX View Post
    There are threads to be found on here and PWCTODAY.COM in the Honda forums about the easy fix for the swelled bushing in the reverse bendix arm. Use the SEARCH featur to find them and a whole lot of other things you need to know in order to be a happy Honda owner....
    Thank you very much for the reply. I did a goggle search before posting, but I did not use your keyword bushing in the reverse Bendix arm. I did find it. The bendix mechanism that flips over the reverse bucket has a stainless steel bushing that is inserted into a plastic bearing that the bendix arm pivots on. The plastic swells up pinching the bushing and the Bendix arm does not want to move. Most swell so tight that the bushing looks like it is part of the bendix arm instead of a rotating bearing.
    The fix is to remove the bucket bolts and then the 12mm long bolt that the bendix arm pivots on. Remove the spring clip on the reverse cable end and pull the bendix arm out.
    Put the bendix arm on top of a 3/4" deep well socket and use a 1/2 brass punch to drive the frozen bushing out of the plastic, down into the opening on the socket below that is supporting the arm. When the bushing is driven out completely into the socket below, Use a round rasp file to remove the swollen plastic until you can slide the bushing in easily with your fingers [looser is better]. There is also a groove in the center plastic bearing that needs to be cleaned and greased before you reassemble it.
    It will only take about 45 minutes to do this.
    This problem affects 100% of all Hondas.
    If you don't fix it, you'll end up with a lot of hull damage from ramming things due to the reverse not working.....
    JR
    The only question I have is the bendix arm and bushings on the bucket end or the reverse handle assembly? Thanks again Mike.

+1
    The bendix arm is the arm that allows the reverse bucket to flip over in front of the pump nozzle.

Thanks JR. I cant wait to get a service manual.

+1
    Fixing the reverse problem is really self-explanatory after reading what is posted.
    Just make sure you use locktite on all of the threads so the salt does not eat the threads out of the aluminum where it contacts the stainless steel fasteners.
    Look into replacing the nuts that seal around the cables before they crack.....

I found it Thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Honda Jetski.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	121.5 KB 
ID:	270834  

Thread Information