Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Whats that whistling noise? jtskier11's Avatar
    +1

How many folks are rocking a long-blade???

Just curious whos running one. Looking at different things to maybe lessen the cavitation on holeshot. See quite a few praise the long-blade prop so lets hear your input.

+1
    i bought a long blade but the guy sold me a regular skat I should have sent it back ,, you should ask some of those guys with the 160 pumps or a cone or something ,,they might have a little less cavitation the cavitation does not bother me, the motor is a beast it is strong enough to brake the prop of the hull ,it is a 800 plus pound boat with about 300 hp it may need wheelie bars lol the 300x comes from the factory with 160mm prop on it

P.S. it is a 13/24 stock number 155-75-25
    Last edited by mckma; 05-07-2012 at 06:24 PM.

+1
    FYI 155-75-25 What that means is 155 mm dia prop, 75 mm hub dia, 25 mm shaft size, Those are the deminsions of the prop and does NOT denote standard blade or long blade. Tommy Jordan

+1
    when my skat prop is sitting on the table the blades touch the table , and also it likes to drink gas

+1
    I rock the long blades as most already know. I just like the overall feel. Less cavitation, more long range riding efficiency with good peak rpm. I never noticed they use more fuel than standard blades. I made several runs from the small boat harbor, down Niagara River, around Grand Island and back to the small boat harbor in Buffalo,NY with various props. I tried a twin prop, stock prop pitched, 13/21 standard blade and the 13/23 Pro Pirch. I always had the most fuel left in the tank with the 13/23. The 13/21 standard wasn't too bad either. It definately had more cavitation when compared to the long blade and peak rpm was close when comparing the two. My GF's ski was bone stock last year and I usually averaged 2 gallons more fuel in the tank after that run when keeping things in the cruising range (6200-7000rpm). She would have to stand on hers a little harder to keep up and that would cause her to use more fuel to stay on pace as the rpms and boost was higher as she was making considerably less power on her stock unit compared to mine. If you ran WOT, obviously mine would use more than hers but when making more power, you can do more with less and with a more aggressive pitch, more distance per revolution is what makes you faster.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 2fast4u View Post
    FYI 155-75-25 What that means is 155 mm dia prop, 75 mm hub dia, 25 mm shaft size, Those are the deminsions of the prop and does NOT denote standard blade or long blade. Tommy Jordan
    So what designates whether its a long blade or not? We just got a 13/25 in that was supposed to be a R&D Pro Pitch 13/25 but its just in a standard Skat box and doesn't reference long blade. Any suggestions?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Yellow93 View Post
    So what designates whether its a long blade or not? We just got a 13/25 in that was supposed to be a R&D Pro Pitch 13/25 but its just in a standard Skat box and doesn't reference long blade. Any suggestions?
    There really isn't anything on the box so to speak. Just look at the trailing edge. The blades will go the entire length of the hub and will almost be flush with the bottom of the hub and have very little gap between the baldes and a flat surface. The standard length blades will stop at least 8-10mm from the hub and will have a larger gap between the blades and a flat surface. Also when both are installed, the longer blades will come very close to the stator veins to minimize turbulance and loss of velocity. The standard blades will have a gap (about a finger's thickness) between the end of the blades and the stator veins.

+1
    can u post a pic of a long blade just for my own edification?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Yellow93 View Post
    It's basically a modified swirl. The longblade prop has an extended leading edge which gives it more overlap of the blades. The extra overlap will help the prop grab more under hard acceleration & should reduce cavitation, but will also load the motor more. You can see in the side-by-side pics below, the longblade is the one with a leading edge that comes to a point(kinda like a Dynafly), & the standard swirl is the one with the rounded leading edge blade. The leading edge of both props is the same length at the hub, but the longblade has the OD of the blade extended out further.

Quote Originally Posted by jetpilot785 View Post
    There really isn't anything on the box so to speak. Just look at the trailing edge. The blades will go the entire length of the hub and will almost be flush with the bottom of the hub and have very little gap between the baldes and a flat surface. The standard length blades will stop at least 8-10mm from the hub and will have a larger gap between the blades and a flat surface. Also when both are installed, the longer blades will come very close to the stator veins to minimize turbulance and loss of velocity. The standard blades will have a gap (about a finger's thickness) between the end of the blades and the stator veins.
    What you're describing has nothing to do with blade length. That's what's referred to as "setback". Basically, adding setback is just machining the back of the hub so the prop will sit closer to the stator. Notice, in my pics the longlade I have is also setback quite a bit more than the swirl, but the blade length at the root is identical.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9547.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	66.9 KB 
ID:	271156   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9545.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	69.8 KB 
ID:	271157  

+1
    so on your pics the long blade is the one on the right and the one on the left is the regular swirl?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information