Thread: Starter madness

+1

Starter madness

I own an 1996 seadoo xp 800. After a lot of years of playing around with it, the starter went bad. I ordered on for 60 dollars on amazon. Now after 6 months its toast. What is the best replacement starter for this engine. I went to the local dealer for an OEM and they charge me almost 500 dollars !!! for it. I live in Aruba so the shipping charge really eats my wallet plus on top of that a 22% duty on it. Wonder now why I bought an 60 dollar starter.?? Any infi is always welcome. By the way Two stroke for life !!!

+1
    From all the reading I've done as well as my own experience, the genuine Sea Doo (white Denso) starters are the way to go.

In January, I purchased a pair of 96 XPs. One had a genuine SD starter and the other had an SBT starter. The SD starter ski cranked just fine. The SBT starter ski barely cranked even with the same fully charged battery. I tried 3 different, known fully charged batteries. I removed the SBT starter and replaced it with a spare SD (Denso) starter that I got with the ski purchase. Engine cranked over just like everything was brand new. It made a believer out of me.

I do see genuine SD starters for sale in the classified section every once in a while.

+1
    Thx for thye reply. I took the starter off the engine and noticed that the bendix went to high. Instead of an clip like the OEM starter, it had two tiny washers. I took the washers off the shaft and replaced it with an oem circlip and it works great again. But yes!! the OEM Nippon Denso starter is the best for these engines. I'm planning to travel to the US within two months, so I will buy one at a dealer.

+1
    Been a while since I had the local alternator/starter shop clean it up and put in new brushes.
    Still works great.

Thread Information