Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Tips for a newbie on launching a dual trailer?

I did a search on here and you tube and came up with basically nothing. I have a double trailer with a fx sho and an fzs. A somewhat experience friend of mine helped me launch last year and an in experienced friend helped me take them out for the season last year and it was a big cluster f. That being said, I'm pretty sure when we launched them last year that fx sho somehow rubbed up against the fzs and put a nice gouge in it that cost me $150 to get fixed last fall. I'm hoping for some videos if anyone has a link to anything good. I know this probably sounds like a silly to request to most of you, but to someone that has never launced waverunners before it's somewhat intimidating. I keep them at the marina for the season so thankfully I only do this twice a year.

+1
    One tip I can definitely give you is make sure the trailer fender is submerged. That gives the ski's just enough water to slide on and off but without them being able to sway around and probably damage the next ski. Here is a video.

Just relax and enjoy the ride. XLT Chad's Avatar
    +1
    Are you launching two skis by yourself? (To store them at the marina maybe) I usually use a mushroom style anchor and a short rope to temporarily moor it while I park my rig. That does take the right conditions and hopefully not a busy ramp.

Yes, looking like I may be launching them by myself to store them at the marina for the season. You know how it goes, everyone has time to ride but no time to help lol.

I back the trailer in the water to cover fenders, Jump on the right hand ski and reverse off while pulling the other ski off with dock line that is tied around handle bar with left hand. Once off, slowly head to dock and tie both up and then move truck. It gets fast once you have done it awhile.

+1
    It might be your trailer.
    We have launched ours hundreds of times using the ShoreLand'r double trailers without any issues.
    What exactly is the problem you're having?

Quote Originally Posted by YoYamma View Post
    It might be your trailer.
    We have launched ours hundreds of times using the ShoreLand'r double trailers without any issues.
    What exactly is the problem you're having?

No actual problem, just not familiar with how to do it is all. My biggest worry is smacking the two skis together and causing another $150 gouge.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by crvtt771 View Post
    No actual problem, just not familiar with how to do it is all. My biggest worry is smacking the two skis together and causing another $150 gouge.
    Yeah it sounds like you just need to slow down and take it easy.
    Most of the problems I have seen come from trying to rush and do things too fast;
    see my list of tips for newbies (here).
    My suggestion is to handle each ski individually; slow things down, get one secured then deal with the other one.
    I think with a little more practice your confidence will increase.

Quote Originally Posted by YoYamma View Post
    Yeah it sounds like you just need to slow down and take it easy.
    Most of the problems I have seen come from trying to rush and do things too fast;
    see my list of tips for newbies (here).
    My suggestion is to handle each ski individually; slow things down, get one secured then deal with the other one.
    I think with a little more practice your confidence will increase.

Would it be a good idea to leave one ski strapped down with the tie downs while I remove the other or would that be a bad idea?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by crvtt771 View Post
    Would it be a good idea to leave one ski strapped down with the tie downs while I remove the other or would that be a bad idea?
    It's not required on ours. If your skis are floating and shifting around that much then you may be backing the trailer in too far. I usually back mine up until the top of the wheel wells are just about even with the water, but not every trailer is designed the same way.

There are other variables too; some ramps are more steep than others, some ramps are well designed and others are terrible. Also water levels during times of drought can make things more difficult. We are encountering a drought in Central FL right now that has made some ramps almost unusable. Practicing on your local ramp will help your confidence.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information