Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: 2003 STX-12f

+1

2003 STX-12f

Buddy of mine found an 03 that has been sitting for maybe 2 years. I am really concerned it may be a money pit, but it does crank over. Tank was empty from what he said. I read about frozen plugs, faulty ECU and rusty valves, anything else he needs to be worried about? It will also need a display gauge. What he is paying for it, on paper it is a good deal, but I think he should pass. What do you guys think?

What details do you know about faulty ECU and rusty valves on 03 12F? Not true.
    But you are right about the dash meter - it goes bad you especially when you flip the ski over and do not turn it over soon enough.

+1
    Read engine issues due to the ECU? and valves rusting? From what he said, the oil was clean, it did turn over and he heard some action from somewhere on the intake side. How likely the fact that the plugs might be frozen? He knows nothing about skis and wants me to come along tomorrow, but I don't want to go in with a negative attitude towards it or be a yes man who looks crazy if it goes poof for that matter. What to look for? Want to be fair in the deal.

The 03-04 is the most reliable years for 12F as for ECU and pump.
    When you do compression check, you will find out whether the plugs are frozen or not - which is another false info you may have as a common problem on the 12F.

+1
    Only thing I did was type in the ski and read. Found a sale topic with an identical ski with the #1 plug snapped off. Glad to hear it was such a reliable ski. Will have the owner try the plugs first then. Supposed to go today. Will chime back tomorrow as to how it goes. Thanks for the helpful info.

+1
    Picked the ski up and took it back to his house. First thing I had him break the spark plugs free. No problems there. Checked the gas and it was bad. Took the lines free from the fuel injectors, and no fuel flow or pressure. Take it the fuel pump is either bad or not getting power for whatever reason. Poured a little fuel per cylinder and did fire off. So at this point, he is supposed to drain the fuel and swap for fresh. If it is a fuel pump issue, where do I start or is there any common issues leading to the pump not active? Also , the gauge is shot and I don't hear any audible beeps. Any help, direction or links would be great. Thanks.

How did you test the fuel pump?

Apply 12 VDC directly the fuel pump connector (2 pin) at the top. Don't cause any spark. Right below is fuel tank. Or just take it out from the tank and test on a bench.

Listen to the whining noise and/or check the fuel pressure which should be around 40 psi.
    If pump motor doesn't move at all, then reverse the polairty of the supplied voltage, and/or tap on the pump to knock loose the frozen motor/pump shaft.
    If above fails, remove the bottom sock filter, and then 3 scrws holnding the metal bracket. Then manually move the pump vane which you may be able to see through.
    If above fails, you will need a new pump or the motor for the pump.

Dash meter - there is nothing you can do to revive this.

+1
    Thanks for the reply and detailed trouble shooting info. In order to take the pump off the tank, can I just pull up at an angle or do I need to slide the tank forward? Trying to help out and don't want to cause any issues or do anything that may cause more problems. Anyone have a spare display willing to sell that will fit the 03 STX-12f? Are the hours recorded in the computer or in the display?

You've got to remove the glove/center compartment to access the fuel pump - that's the easiest way for me.
    ECU stores eng hrs.
    It sounds like you don't have a service manual and trying to work on the ski. Tell your buddy to get one for you and also tell him that that would be the best investment for that ski.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information