Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Carbon Seal Spray

Did a search.. Can't really find an expert opinion..

Went riding today and noticed some minor spray coming from carbon seal, nothing at idle speed, only some spray at speed..

Carbon seal, bellow, o rings, hat and all were changed and were new around 40 hours ago and engine alignment was checked and found to be ok

The Riva intake is sitting very close and possibly touching the bellow but is by no means "squishing" it, the intake can only go on one way and is mounted with the bracket up front so it is how Riva intended it I am guessing

When at rest I placed my hand underneath the carbon seal and it is not dripping or leaking water

After riding I had the usual amount of water in the hull as I have had since day one, maybe a couple shot glasses full of water, a couple or few ounces, nothing major, just soak it up under the engine with a paper towel

Is this normal to have some spray? Since I got the ski in 07 I have changed the carbon ring 3 times just to be safe and as routine maintenance as it is a wear item, when I lived at the beach and rode in straight salt water I always noticed the salt spray on the supercharger.. It doesn't go everywhere, just around the area of the ring and supercharger... Can someone put me at ease? Is it somewhat normal for the ring to spray a little? Thanks in advance
    TJ

+1
    Get a bellow band... That shold eliminate that

+1
    It doesn't bother me as long as it is normal operation.. Is it normal to have the Seadoo carbon ring spray a little at high rpm's? It's not leaking or filling my hull by any means, just spraying a little at high rpm's.. Normal operation? Anyone? Pros opinion

I would prefer to keep the carbon ring setup stock as I have heard or bellow bands breaking, and if Seadoo intended it to work as it is and only spray a little at high rpm's, I'm ok with that

Well I may not be helpful with the correct answer to your issue, but this is what I found after 20 hours with all new carbon seals, bellows, shafts, bumpers, floating ring, O rings, rebuilt pumps and props...
    and now it`s getting all new again x 2...

not only did I find it leaking at no idle, it was leaking when idling.
    There was almost NO tension on the bellows...

and see the tell tale sign of carbon fling on the tunnels.

Snowman would be a good source to ask about your issue, being you have some mods and a different pitch prop.

+1
    Yea that's ugly, ive never seen a carbon ring look that bad on my ski even after 100 hours..

Still need a pro's opinion.. Is it normal operation to have some spray at speed or higher rpm's from the carbon ring after reading what I posted in my first post?
    Rpm's are good at 8100 also

I feel like I have always had some spray whether new or old carbon ring.. Normal?

Calling on Snowman or Jerry.. Anyone?

+1
    Anyone?

+1
    The simple fix to add some more tension to the bellows is moving the engine rearward a 1/4". However, and this is important, the pumpshoe may not be shimmed correctly to the transome. That will cause the driveshaft to not be centered in the thur the hull fitting. Then, when aligning the engine uneven pressure is placed on the carbon ring as it is in post 4.

This is exactly the situation I have with my ski......to fix that, the pumpshoe has to be removed and re-shimmed.

+1
    This has been doing this from day one with the ski, now 328 hours.. Like I said, I'm not worried about the minimal misting or spraying it does at high rpm's.. Doesn't "leak" or fill my hull by any means

Is it normal for seadoos to do this, without having to remove pump shoe and shimming and all that drama because I'm not getting into all that with this ski

Do they all do this? That is all I'm asking

Anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by 1tommygunner1927 View Post
    That will cause the driveshaft to not be centered in the thur the hull fitting. Then, when aligning the engine uneven pressure is placed on the carbon ring as it is in post 4.
    for this situation, these engines have never been touched as far as alignment., no loose or broken motor mounts. As far as the off center patterns, who knows, these drive shafts in post 4 have a protective tube surrounding them effectively reducing the size of the hole the drive shafts pass thru. There is no abnormal rubbing or wear inside these blue tubes. So at this point any problem is unknown until I get the new parts installed and have a look.
    I was simply showing the OP that regardless of low hours, shit can happen, as in this description of these challenger carbon seals...

However, the floating rings mating surface have evidence of salt water corrosion/pitting, the pitting itself can create a grooved circular pattern like an old 33 record... The worse seal in the pic looks like it was run out of the water to long and fried as well...
    plus there is more to the puzzle...lol...

+1
    Sooo.. Back my question on which this thread was started with..

Is it normal to have some minimal spray at higher rpm's?? Do other seadoo carbon rings do this? I am just asking because it has done it the entire life of the ski with no issues or performance issues, just sprays a little at high rpm's, carbon seal has never been abnormally worn as in post 4 all the 3-4 times I have replaced them, just replaced them to replace a wear item.. Water is not leaking into hull nor is the spray enough to amount to anything out of the ordinary for me as far as water in hull after a day on the water, like I said, maybe just a couple ounces or so

Sooo... Is this normal and ok?
    Thanks

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information