2004 gp800r speed question

I recently bought a 2004 gp800r. When i first took it out it only got up to 42mph.. Then we were on the lake and it stopped running and wouldn't start back up. It just clicked.. I had a friend that has a 2000 1200r come look at it. When he did he thought the engine was bad. He knew a guy that had a lot of experience when he came over he said that he thinks it just isn't getting gas to the rear cylinder. Both cylinders had 125psi for compression. He rebuilt the carbs and put a new powervalve in it. Now its top speed is 53mph. From what i'm reading the top speed should be around 60mph. Im wondering what everyone else is getting for compression and top speed? Do i have another problem? Thanks for any ideas

+1
    The compression is good and what was wrong with the power valve that it needed replaced. And are u using a GPS or the boats meter. The speed is not bad as the prop wear wring ride plate and other factors could keep you from breaking 60.

Quote Originally Posted by mudslanger View Post
    The compression is good and what was wrong with the power valve that it needed replaced. And are u using a GPS or the boats meter. The speed is not bad as the prop wear wring ride plate and other factors could keep you from breaking 60.
    I am just using the speedometer. The mechanic replaced it when rebuilding the carbs. So i need to replace the prop wear ring and the ride plate to get it to go faster? This is my first jet ski so i am learning as i go? Thank you

my 03. reads 60 61. when ya super man the ski

What are your rpms at full throttle? They should be 7000-7300. If its there then the motor is fine and possibly the pump. If the rpms are not there then you need to check if thethe powervalves are working or not. Keep me posted I just rebuilt my motor because of the power valve breaking.

+1
    GPS and a tach would both be more helpful. That stock speedo is far from accurate...

+1
    I didn't say go buy those parts but check them and replace as needed.

The RPMs are right in that range of 7100.. You can hear it's wound high when the throttle is wide open. I have thought about adding a scoop near the pump just to make sure enough water is getting in. this would slow me down a little but at least I would be confident in water getting in there. Please keep the ideas coming

if your rpms are aroud 7,150 to 7,250, then you are there,,,, if your speedo is reading 52 to 53 (need to confirm with a GPS), then you are around max speed, any more rpms and you will go boooommm!!!! and anymore mph will require tweeking the pump/plate setup....

Thread Information