Angry Turf Replacement

I'm putting some new turf on the XL, and the adhesive film that was under the old turf is giving me fits! I removed all the adhesive from the clear plastic film, now what is the best way to remove the film itself?? Tried scraping, adhesive removers- it seems to be permanently affixed to the fiberglass! Does it absolutely need to come off if it is so well adhered? or will the hydro-turf stick to it sufficiently? Any ideas would be great! thanks!

+1
    I use goofoff works great spray on let set wipe off. You will have to use some scrubbing motion and several rags. Also a plastic sponge is what I call it works great it looks like a plastic net balled up my wife use them to clean dishes.

+1
    Acetone works as well, be sure to use outdoors, highly flammable.

i used the goof off to get the initial layer of adhesive off, does it also work for the thin plastic film once the top layer of adhesive is removed? i need something to get the clear film off, it has no residue or adhesive left on it, but is simply glued to the fiberglass. also, i know exactly which scrubber you're referring to, lol. if that clear film is stuck so well, do i need to remove it or can i just place the new turf over it??!

+1
    I would get all the way down to the the fiberglass/SMC. I used Goof Off Professional strength, some plastic strapers, and razor blades (gently...in a couple spots). It was a pain but it got the job done.

+1
    I would stick with goofoff that film is tough to get off let the goofoff soak in a bit. I wouldn't use thinners unless you have used them a lot as it will soften the paint if left on in a short time. Just take your time don't rush to get the glue off. After you remove all the glue you can use some thinner on a cloth to remove the residue but soap and water works well too.

+1
    Just paint on the color turf you want....DONE
    HFTTM

+1
    A heat gun is the only thing that touches it. There's no sense in using goo gone if that plastic layer is still on there. I bought a low temp gun from the local hobby store used for shrinking rc airplane covering...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1336015449.478636.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	75.7 KB 
ID:	270678

I like this because it's $16 and it doesn't get super hot...400 degrees I think.

Go slow with it and get a plastic putty knife. Heat, scrape, goo gone, repeat. You might see it start to steam, that's just the goo gone getting hot. Back off if it gets to that point, then scrape, spray, repeat.

The heat will turn that plastic to goo. A combination of the gooey plastic and adhesive under it is a big mess, but the goo gone will take care of it. It helps to wipe it down every once in a while to see your progress.

It also helps to pick say a 4x4 area and just work on that area until clean. Helps to break it up into small sections.

I tried every adhesive remover I could find and plain goo gone is hands down the best stuff on this, even beats goof off. Besides its also not flammable like a lot of the other stuff. Important with the heat gun.

Thanks for the good info guys! (not cmgww) done and done, all residue and film is gone, just waiting on the pink turf- yea you read that right- for my wife's sleeper XL. I have only been married 8months but learned if she's happy I can buy go-fast parts! Haha

BOHICA!! That's for you cmg.

Thread Information