Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Yamaha GP1200 running at 3-4k rpms all the time

Hi guys this is my first post however I have been reading on these forums for about a year now.
    I aquired 3 skis from my grandfather who passed away and i have been trying to get them all working.
    One is a 98 XL1200, a VXR Pro and a 97 GP1200.
    I have got them all working except the GP.
    So far i have replaced all the spark plugs, fuel filter, and obviously drained the fuel and put in new batteries.
    I did have it running normally until yesterday i went to start it, and it started but the rpms are between 3k-4k when idling, and it didn't go below that for the 15 minutes I let it run.
    I currently have the carbs pulled and I am in the middle of rebuilding them. However so far everything looks good inside. None of the gaskets are destoyed and theres no corrosion at all so far. Now these are my first carb rebuilds so i dont know if I am missing anything or if The carbs are even the problem.

Just looking for some guidance.

Oh and by the way, all the skis have around 50 hours
    Edit- i should also mention the skis have been sitting from 2007 to late 2010 when I got them.

I don't have the technical knowledge to truly answer this question but since you say your spark plugs were new, I might sugest you pull the plugs and note the color of each. If one of them looks brand new and the rest look like they are tan to dark brown...I might suggest that the one with the clean look is not receiving oil or fuel and could be in jeopardy of melting down. If the ski in question has multiple carbs, make sure fuel/oil is flowing through it. That's my 2 cents for the day anyway. Good luck to ya. I'm sure the higher-skill-set will chime in soon.

+1
    Not sure about that particlar ski but sounds like maybe limp mode as in low on oil. Check the oil resevoir.

All the spark plugs are roughly the same color.
    I will check the oil when I get home as well.
    I forgot to mention though that when i checked my spark plugs after this started happening there was quite a bit of black residue, maybe oil coated on the plugs.
    Not sure if that is normal as these are my first skis.

+1
    the black oily looking would most likely be from the extra oil that you were putting in there with the throttle all the way open trying to go faster.

Ok.
    Im pretty sure my reservoir was full. Would i have to change the oil? I've heard it doesn't go bad. It's probably been in there for 6 or 7 years though

+1
    It may be full but the sensor could be stuck down or be bad. Do you have flashing lights any where on the display? Some have a flashing light that tells you you are low on fuel or oil or even high temp.

Yes, mine has an led warning light that is flashing, and also on the display is says low fuel.
    I just assumed the fuel sensor was faulty and i planned on leaving it for now

I just realised i have misworded my original post i am such an idiot lol
    I am able to go OVER the 3-4k rpms when i pull the throtle, the problem is that it never goes UNDER 3-4k even when i let off the throttle.
    The throttle is not stuck open and the cables are all fine.
    I am sorry for miswording in my post

+1
    If Im not mistaken, Idle on these 1200s should be around 2k or a little more when its out of the water. Around 1300 in water. You can idle it down a little if you need to.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information