Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Anyone tried a sled motor in a polaris ski?

After realizing that my 1050 has only 115-120 hp, I wondered what it would take to drop an 800 polaris bb twin into a say, pro/hurricane hull. My reasoning is plain and simple... More power. Maybe a xcr 800 motor even? Could go all out and drop in a 800 cfi motor with PAR heads. No jetting, awesome fuel consumption, and 160+ hp on tap. Find a trashed sled and steal the motor, electronics, etc. Have a pipe made and BRAAAP BRAAAP BRAAAP across the lake. Can it, will it work? In theory at this point of course

Anyone ever tackled something like this? Maybe I should yank my 800 cfi motor out of my IQr mountain mod and drop it in the sltx. LOL

Tell me your thoughts,

Bill

+1
    Arent most sleds air cooled? If so how you gonna get enough air to cool it down?

The motors I mentioned are liquid cooled. I don't think any of the big four even have a fan in the 2013 model lineup. Conventional sleds run what is called a heat exchanger. Usually under the tunnel (above track) or under the running boards. It utilizes the snow to cool the coolant then send it back to the motor

+1
    One of the biggest reasons sleds put out more hp per cc than skis is expansion chamber design. Sleds have more room to make proper expansion chamber designs and don't have to work in such a confined space and deal with water cooling for heat. Most sled motors would be close to the same hp as skis if they were restricted to the pipe design of the ski.

+1
    the sled motors use a different port timing because you have a clutch so you have no bottomend

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 785 lugs View Post
    the sled motors use a different port timing because you have a clutch so you have no bottomend
    True. Skis don't have any form of transmission so the motors must be able to pull through the powerband more evenly than sleds- bikes ect. That's why skis don't have the hit of say a dirtbike when it comes on the pipe. Ski would never get up to speed with the port timing in sleds and bikes. Powervalves are an attempt to raise the port timing a small amount and retain the lower port timing needed for bottom end. Theory it would be great to take a big hp sled motor and drop into a ski but in the real world the power curve would not be indicative of a skis needs

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyBill View Post
    After realizing that my 1050 has only 115-120 hp, I wondered what it would take to drop an 800 polaris bb twin into a say, pro/hurricane hull. My reasoning is plain and simple... More power. Maybe a xcr 800 motor even? Could go all out and drop in a 800 cfi motor with PAR heads. No jetting, awesome fuel consumption, and 160+ hp on tap. Find a trashed sled and steal the motor, electronics, etc. Have a pipe made and BRAAAP BRAAAP BRAAAP across the lake. Can it, will it work? In theory at this point of course

Anyone ever tackled something like this? Maybe I should yank my 800 cfi motor out of my IQr mountain mod and drop it in the sltx. LOL

Tell me your thoughts,

Bill

Cooling the pipe is the problem. It will get to hot under that seat unName:  Banshee_cylinders.jpg
Views: 444
Size:  35.9 KBClick image for larger version. 

Name:	86_1.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	24.9 KB 
ID:	270641less you can make some water cool dry pipes for the motor. Here are some photo of the deferents on exhaust side.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by porschemaniac View Post
    True. Skis don't have any form of transmission so the motors must be able to pull through the powerband more evenly than sleds- bikes ect. That's why skis don't have the hit of say a dirtbike when it comes on the pipe. Ski would never get up to speed with the port timing in sleds and bikes. Powervalves are an attempt to raise the port timing a small amount and retain the lower port timing needed for bottom end. Theory it would be great to take a big hp sled motor and drop into a ski but in the real world the power curve would not be indicative of a skis needs
    + 1

I'm gonna have to do some research this weekend (drink beer while comparing sled and ski). I really think there is something to be had with this idea. I guess the kicker would be getting the exhaust out of the ski?

I know some guys that have converted watercraft motors to sled motors. Gotta be able to do it the other way around you would think? Looks like I'm shopping for a ski without a motor. So what would be a good hull to use?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information