Thread: Bad Reeds?

+1

Bad Reeds?

Trying to revive my GP1200. I installed some used but what seemed to be good reeds last season I it was used. I could not get over 45 mph and only at 5500 rpms, IIRC.

With head off and flame arrestors off: when i push on a piston, air comes back up the carb intakes. This means bad reeds correct?

the reeds may not be seating well on their blocks or came loose... I would check the reeds also!!

+1
    I would check them for sure

+1
    I got them out today, i had forgot how much a pain it was to take the intake off, but with the proper tools it isnt too bad. I had forgotten what i had in there...I have RAD Valves. I took two apart so far. They seemed to the seating tightly but after I took them apart and cleaned the mating surfaces, there is a slight gap, very small. One of the smaller sections of one of the reeds is broken in the middle and it is also knicked on the front edge. Also, the same block which was knicked had a slight burr in the block under the mating edge. I smoothed it out and seems good.
    I am going to order a new complete set (expensive) and see how she does from there. My stock reeds are not mating correctly or I would just put those back in. I thought they were all good, but they are gapped on about half of the reed fingers. Thanks

IMO stock reeds can be slightly bowed out and work fine ....as a motor case pressurizes with downstroke,they would seal as long as the seats are in good shape..I have heard of guys turning them over to get a firm seal again , yet IMT that I read somewhere this could lead to reed fracturing ( i could be wrong thou....).the split ,chip and the bump especially at the seal would be letting the pressure from the down stroke back thru the intake tract, disrupting the following fuel charge's flow , ventri speed and stable fuel atomization in the carb...

+1
    Yea, it definitely ran better with the stock reeds, so they may still be good. Or at least better than the current RAD valve reeds

Thread Information