Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

+1

New Battery Maintenance

Bought two VXR's in November. New batteries in garage on tender. Noticed today the one acid level only 2/3 full and other a little more. Does anyone add distilled water to their batteries on regular basis when on tenders? No leaks on batteries anywhere to be found. Brand new.

+1
    Not sure about brand new batteries, but I add distilled water to both my yamaha batteries if I notice they are low. I normally do this over the winter when they are on the charger. I use an eye dropper and it seems to work well.

Whats that whistling noise? jtskier11's Avatar
    +1
    I did when I actually have an open battery. Just be sure you use distilled or the battery will sulfate like a MOFO and its pretty much done.

+1
    How full should they be? Is there a mark that would indicate it is full? Thanks guys

There is a line on the battery that shows where to fill it to, but you may need to back-light it to see the level.

One word of caution with these batteries, they can vent unexpectedly even filled with distilled water when they reach a certain age. I had one that was working fine, good voltage and everything, and it vented through the hose up through the port that is under the seat and then the acid ran down the sides and back of the ski. The wind pushed the stuff all around. I didn't realize I had a problem until I noticed some ugly blisters developing on the vinyl decals on the sides and back of the ski. Fortunately no damage to the paint. I replaced this battery with an Odyssey AGM, even though it still tests good. I suspect that the charge voltage going to these batteries is high enough that they will start to vent after a little wear. Mine did this at the 3 year point. You might want to consider replacing it at 2 years even if it is still working OK.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest T View Post
    There is a line on the battery that shows where to fill it to, but you may need to back-light it to see the level.

One word of caution with these batteries, they can vent unexpectedly even filled with distilled water when they reach a certain age. I had one that was working fine, good voltage and everything, and it vented through the hose up through the port that is under the seat and then the acid ran down the sides and back of the ski. The wind pushed the stuff all around. I didn't realize I had a problem until I noticed some ugly blisters developing on the vinyl decals on the sides and back of the ski. Fortunately no damage to the paint. I replaced this battery with an Odyssey AGM, even though it still tests good. I suspect that the charge voltage going to these batteries is high enough that they will start to vent after a little wear. Mine did this at the 3 year point. You might want to consider replacing it at 2 years even if it is still working OK.
    Exactlly why I no longer have ANY lead-acid batteries in any of my powersports stuff!!!!!!!!!!! All AGM for me.

+1
    Where did you guys get the AGM batteries? Anyone got a serial number and is it an EXACT replacement? Maybe I will just change it now

Formerly Ultra250 TN Aquaholic6801's Avatar
    +1
    The Stock Yusa batteries are fine for several years..........

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by VXRBlue View Post
    Where did you guys get the AGM batteries? Anyone got a serial number and is it an EXACT replacement? Maybe I will just change it now
    I went to Oreillys. Its not their brand anyway, its rebadged Deka. For my ski I got an ETX-16L and it fit perfect. Comes with a little spacer for the bottom to equal out to the height of the stock crapper. One thing youll notice if you do get an AGM is they are a good bit heavier than a lead-acid battery.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jtskier11 View Post
    I went to Oreillys. Its not their brand anyway, its rebadged Deka. For my ski I got an ETX-16L and it fit perfect. Comes with a little spacer for the bottom to equal out to the height of the stock crapper. One thing youll notice if you do get an AGM is they are a good bit heavier than a lead-acid battery.
    Awesome advise here. I run Deka batteries in all my stuff now. "Oldman" on the forum turned me on these. They are of very good quality.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information