XR1800 cranks for 3 sec and then stops

I have a 2001 xr1800. When I turn the ignition key for either motor, it cranks for 3 seconds and then stops. If you turn the key back off and then back on, it will crank for another 3 seconds before cutting off again. It sounds strong, but like something is cutting it off. It has a new battery and newly rebuilt carbs. I have checked all the connections and fuses in the ignition box and everything looks good. Any suggestions?

Edmond, OK
    You might look at the door and switches in the clean out plug area.

I checked the two switches under the clean out plug hatch to make sure they were depressed. If I open the hatch door, nothing happens. Neither engine will crank. With the hatch door closed, both engines will crank but stop after 3 sec even with the ignition key still engaged. It is weird that both engines are doing the same thing. I also tried to move the drive lever from F to R and back to neutral and still nothing.

Philly PA, Wildwood NJ, Indialantic FL
    I am trying to remember but I think I had this happen on a ls2000 after doing steering cables and it was the neutral switch. It's a pain to remove and expensive but when. I got in there a wire needed to be soldered back on. Might want to check that.

After going through everything, I checked the water temp connections and they were loose. After tightening the connections, it started right up. thanks for all the help!!

Thread Information