Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

87 or 91 Oct gas???

Hopefully I will be able to pay back you guys when I learn my machine better. 2004 Honda R-12 NON TURBO. There is a sticker on the fuel filler on my ski that says 87 Oct min however the owners manual says 91 or higher? I will mostly run 91 from home but I have a large boat that we will take the ski on and operate it away from shore. My boat has a aux fuel pump that I can pump right from my main boat tanks, however my boat uses 87 Oct and holds 400 gallons of gas so I hate to spend .20 cents a gallon or $80 extra for premium to fill the boat up just because of the ski. What do you guys with non turbos run?

+1
    My guess would to carry around a few bottles of nos octaine boost and use it with ski fill up.

NJ -> MD Jet ski trip fuel mileage champ carguy89's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by jlfx car audio View Post
    My guess would to carry around a few bottles of nos octaine boost and use it with ski fill up.
    This wouldn't help much. When the additives say they raise the octane by 1 point, they don't mean from 87 to 88 octane. it's from 87 to 87.1

Homer, AK, D.F., MEX., Now San Antonio, TX
    +1

The only additive i've found even worth raising octane is ACES IV. JR IN JAX put me on it last year. It turns my 93 octane to around 102 octane effect(112 research). It should put 87 octane in the mid to upper 90s for you. It is no joke, much better than torco AND MUCH cheaper. It also is a fuel stabilizer(like stabil) and cuts down on cylinder wear dramatically. One 32oz bottle treats 192 gallons(1 ounce:6 gallon mixing ratio). Last time i bought a bottle of ACES IV it was 70-80 per 32 oz bottle.

Torco is $35 to get the same effect out of 5 gallons of fuel. You do the math. Torco also gunks up your spark plugs and will shorten their lives. Call and talk to the guys at bnd, they're extremely sharp. I'll never buy a can of anything else because you are simply wasting your time. Torco would be in second place, but a long way behind ACES IV.

http://www.bndautomotive.com/page/page/931760.htm

+1
    I can use 87 but just always fill with 91. Never had a fuel issue and motor purrs like a kitten. If you were Turbo then you have to use 91. Just carry a spare can of gas, honda's get great wmpg compared to other skis.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by carguy89 View Post
    This wouldn't help much. When the additives say they raise the octane by 1 point, they don't mean from 87 to 88 octane. it's from 87 to 87.1
    Not true with the nos octaine boost it advertizes that it rases it 60 points . Do some research and see for ur self. It is in the top 5 octaine boosters avaiable now
    But in real tests it only raised it 18points but its 6.99 a bottle in tn

+1
    http://www.fueltechexperts.com/2008/...which-is-best/
    Ive seen this review in several places over the yrs

Thanks guys, I really don't want to have to carry octane boost with me if I don't have to. If the ski is really built to run on 87 Oct it will really make life so much easier. Remember it is non turbo, so the big question is why the book and the ski placard have too different requirements. I just don't get that??? Also I have had a few cars that actually ran better on non premium gas. I know its a loaded question. Thanks Mike.

If it runs fine on 87 then i wouldn't worry about it. It is true, too much octane does not help or make more power. Lower octane fuel actually ignites easier with higher octane harder to ignite(resists detonation).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information