Help>>>1997 sltx 1050 no fire after ign upgrade

Hello,

I recently bought this ski and it would run good for about 10 min and then start missing on the middle cylinder.

So i figured i would go ahead and cover all the posibilities and replace parts.

I replaced the carbs and ordered the ign upgrade kit for the ski from polaris.

I installed the kit on the ski and tried to fire it up, and notta.

I have checked the wires about 20 times, verified continuity through all the slid on plugs.
    I even removed the magneto inspected it for damage and re installed it. and nothing on any cylinders.

What is the odds the new kit is bad?

Only thing that makes me wonder is that the ignition controller is the one with the computer plug on iyt but the part # had been crossed out and below it in yellow marker was wrote the correct pn.
    I figure they programed the box to function as 4010447, the satato pn is 4010403.

The kit i have is pn 2873091

Or could the coil be shot now?

Any ideas would be great

Thanks

Charleston, South Carolina, United States
    +1
    Some of the more experienced guys on here may correct me if im wrong, but i believe if you upgrade the ignition you must upgrade the CDI as well to match. Also might sound dumb but make sure you have a fully charged battery and the lanyard is put in.

Quote Originally Posted by shawndak07 View Post
    Some of the more experienced guys on here may correct me if im wrong, but i believe if you upgrade the ignition you must upgrade the CDI as well to match. Also might sound dumb but make sure you have a fully charged battery and the lanyard is put in.
    The battery is full and the ski cranks great, supposedly the coil dont have to be changed on the 1050, it does on the twin cylinder motors and the kit comes with it
    thanks

Charleston, South Carolina, United States
    +1
    Put on the old box and see if it cranks up. Could be a bad box?

Banned User
    +1
    Old CDI box will not work with the new stator. Go over all of your connections. Check your battery voltage while cranking. Needs to be over 10.6 volts or you will get no spark.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Did you by chance install the battery cable backwards at all? I did that once and destroyed my brand new update kit.

And yes, there IS a chance the parts may have been bad right out of the box. (not likely, but possible)

Quote Originally Posted by xlint89 View Post
    Did you by chance install the battery cable backwards at all? I did that once and destroyed my brand new update kit.

And yes, there IS a chance the parts may have been bad right out of the box. (not likely, but possible)
    Nope, definantly didn't reverse the batt connections.
    I have verified all wire connections numerous times, even disconnecting all the wires and doing them all over again.
    I guess I will return the kit under warranty (and wait 2 weeks to get the new one) then see if it has the same problem.
    I am only getting like 2v on the brown wire when cranking and from what I've read it should be somewhere around 9v?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by stephenc View Post
    Nope, definantly didn't reverse the batt connections.
    I have verified all wire connections numerous times, even disconnecting all the wires and doing them all over again.
    I guess I will return the kit under warranty (and wait 2 weeks to get the new one) then see if it has the same problem.
    I am only getting like 2v on the brown wire when cranking and from what I've read it should be somewhere around 9v?
    Yes,the 2v on the brown wire is a problem. Make sure you have more than 10.5v on the red/pur while cranking-if you do,the CDI is bad.Hopefully they don't need you to remove the stator.

And yes,the part number is written in paint-that part is 100% correct.

Quote Originally Posted by casey67 View Post
    Yes,the 2v on the brown wire is a problem. Make sure you have more than 10.5v on the red/pur while cranking-if you do,the CDI is bad.Hopefully they don't need you to remove the stator.

And yes,the part number is written in paint-that part is 100% correct.
    Yes the batt voltage is 11.5 at the bat when cranking.
    I'm going to try the 9v bat test when I get home which if it fires that way would definantly say the cdi is doa, and yes HOPEFULLY they will just let me return the cdi for replacement, the stator is a #@?! To change with the motor in the ski

Ok, latest update, I did the 9v batt test and varoom!! So I called "monstermotorsport.com"(where I ordered it from) and yes I have to send back the whole kit so they can send it back to polaris so they can test it. Ok so prob more like 3 weeks til I get a functioning kit. GEE wonder Y they got out of the pwc market??
    Will update when I get the new kit

Thread Information