Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

How much does body weight effect performance?

Just curious... was riding at eastfork lake in Cincinnati, Oh with Vanyel1970 yesterday evening, and noticed although I was on VXR, Vanyel was pulling ahead on his FZR quite a bit. I know on a couple instances, I had messed up my takeoff with the throttle. But I know on a couple of instances, I assume I had taking off perfectley..

I've read the VXR and the FZR should be neck-and-neck in speed... FZR is supercharged 1812cc but heavier, and the VXR is 1812cc but no supercharger, however quite a bit lighter. They both do speeds in the 1.6-1.8sec 0-30 range... some saying because of the weight difference they are pretty much the same.

Here's the catch... I'm 6ft 4in, and weigh 320lbs. I'm tall and husky build at that weight. Of course, Vanyel is substantially shorter, and prolly around 165lbs (sorry if i got that wrong, bud, lol)

Does my weight seriously cause that much drag on engine performance? Or would it impact it very litte? I guess technically its like having an passenger with that much weight, but it bogs it down that much?

On the up side, at my size, I am my own trim system.... front end always stays level with water

NJ -> MD Jet ski trip fuel mileage champ carguy89's Avatar
    +1
    I would imagine so. 100 lbs is a tenth of a second in the 1/4 mile on land, where there is far less friction.

After breakfast today Im probably closer to 170 Next time we are out B if you want to trade skis and you run mine against me running yours I'd be fine with it. Totally up to you bro, and I think it would at least better answer the question as to weight proportion and how it affects performance.

+1
    i'm 6ft and weighed 300lbs when i bought my VXS, now that i have lost 40lbs my ski rides and handles alot differently, and oddly enough i was 300lbs when i nade 4 back to back 70mph runs (on gps) something i havent been able to do since.... it was also below 50 degrees that day !!!!!! anything that moves, car, bike boat or ski will go faster with less weight !!!!!!

Vanyel.. you did mention my sponsons where an inch or so lower in the water... yours were barely submerged at all. So right there, even though my vxr is lighter than yours, my weight was able to make substantial difference by not only making up the weight difference between our rides, but then some extra, and my hull was a few inches deeper in the water than yours.

Guess it really does make that big of a deal... hmmm....

+1
    A big part of the weight is how it is distributed as well. When I used to have a GPR it would go fastest with my 100lb gf on the back riding 2-up because more of the front of the hull was out of water the way we were positioned. I did several back to back tests and it always wound up the same. I've also gotten some higher speeds (0.5mph) on a Kawi 260x then a guy 50lbs lighter than me just because of how I positioned myself. Sometimes this also creates a negative effect if you are very low on fuel and put too much weight in the back. Depending on how the ski is set up it could porpoise (bounce) and kill your speed.
    Try leaning hard on the bars at holeshot then reposition yourself far rear, arms extended, once you pull out. See if that makes a difference

will give that a try, ecpChris, thanks for the advice!

I try to lean forward on holeshot, then extend backward as it planes. I do this because with the trim all the way down (bow up) when I punch the throttle, if I am not leaning all the way forward it will punch out till there is no more water coming into the intake and pump, causing a stall.

So B next time we are out today we can experiment with positioning if ya want. See if leaning forward on holeshot then leaning back on plane improves your overall times

Quote Originally Posted by ecpChris View Post
    A big part of the weight is how it is distributed as well. When I used to have a GPR it would go fastest with my 100lb gf on the back riding 2-up because more of the front of the hull was out of water the way we were positioned. I did several back to back tests and it always wound up the same. I've also gotten some higher speeds (0.5mph) on a Kawi 260x then a guy 50lbs lighter than me just because of how I positioned myself. Sometimes this also creates a negative effect if you are very low on fuel and put too much weight in the back. Depending on how the ski is set up it could porpoise (bounce) and kill your speed.
    Try leaning hard on the bars at holeshot then reposition yourself far rear, arms extended, once you pull out. See if that makes a difference
    I agree with this statement. I have a Sea Doo RXT which has no trim. I was surprised that it went .5 mph faster GPS with my wife riding on the back than with me alone.

+1
    If you think about it, guys are always referring to how much better their ski runs/handles on a low tank of fuel versus a full tank, and that is a weight difference of only 70-80 lbs.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information